[AktiviX-discuss] Taharar! project emerged

taharar at riseup.net taharar at riseup.net
Mon Feb 12 14:18:13 UTC 2007

Dear aktivix
This is to inform you that a new project has been launched, it's called
Taharar!

http://www.taharar.org

Taharar! [liberate yourself! in Arabic] is an autonomous project that aims
to empower individuals, collectives, and groups working on issues of
social justice in West Asia and North Africa by providing them with
alternative communication and technical services, information, resources,
and support. Taharar!'s vision is to combat the digital censorship
prevalent in West Asia and North Africa by providing an accessible pool of
resources in local languages (including Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew, Kurdish,
etc.) that people to create democratic alternatives by controlling their
own secure means of communications through the use and proliferation of
free, open source software and technologies.

Taharar! places itself alongside other revolutionary tech collectives
(such as riseup.net, resist.ca, among others) whose purpose is to aid in
the creation of a free society - a world with freedom of expression and
freedom from want, a world without oppression or hierarchy, where power is
shared equally - by providing communication and computer resources to
allies engaged in struggles against capitalism and other forms of
oppression.

    * We value, support, and engage in struggles for human liberation, the
ethical treatment of animals, and ecological sustainability. We join in
the fight for freedom and the self-determination of all oppressed groups.
We oppose all forms of prejudice, authoritarianism,
capitalism, and vanguardism.
    * We organize on the basis of autonomy, mutual aid, resource sharing,
participatory knowledge, social advocacy, anti-oppression work,
community creation, and secure communication.
    * We work to create revolution and a free society in the here and now
by building alternative communication infrastructure designed to
oppose and replace the dominant system.
    * We promote social ownership and democratic control over information,
ideas, technology, and the means of communication.
    * We empower organizations and individuals to use technology in
struggles for liberation. We work to support each other in overcoming the
systemic oppression embedded in the use and development of
technology.

Taharar!'s Goals

    * Promote the use and knowledge of Free and Open Source software in
West Asia and North Africa by making tools and resources available in
local languages through the collection and translation of existing
material. To achieve this, Taharar will coordinate and collaborate with
F/OS communities and tech collectives around the world.
    * Combat digital censorship in West Asia and North Africa by providing
the tools and knowledge necessary for people to control their own
means of communications and subvert government and state-imposed
censorship.
    * Promote civil rights and liberties, particularly digital rights and
the right to digital privacy
      Offer infrastructures of communication and technology (email,
listersevs, web hosting, etc.) that people from the region can
benefit from.
    * Create a network of activists throughout the region committed to
furthering the goals and aims of Taharar!

++
For more information and support, you can contact Taharar! at:
taharar[AT]riseup[DOT]net. For secured communication, Taharar! has this
PGP public key:
http://www.taharar.org/taharar.asc
with Finger Print
9BBE BFF7 C007 6976 B6B7 322E 2EE5 F1DE 2FED 680C