[AktiviX-discuss] dying under the spam

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 00:53:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 11:55:04PM +0000, ana wrote:

> But there are also servers
> sending legitimate mail that do not try a second time either, or they try
> immediately, or too late for the greylisting to work. The result is that
> legitimate emails sent from those servers that do not try again properly
> (or, "don't handle greylisting well"), do not get to the recipient.

But those servers are not behaving "correctly" are they?
If somone using one of those servers for outgoing SMTP sends
me an email, and my server is not using greylisting but just
happens to be down at the time, what then? I don't get the
email. Sure greylisting would increase the frequency of symptoms
but there is an underlying problem with the outgoing server
which should be fixed anyway. On the other hand I accept your
point about aktivix not being in a position to follow up on all
the extra support queries which may be created. It is a
tricky one.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory