[AktiviX-discuss] dying under the spam

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Thu Nov 22 23:54:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 07:16:27PM +0000, ana wrote:
> Ian Gregory wrote:
>
> > If somone using one of those servers for outgoing SMTP sends
> > me an email, and my server is not using greylisting but just
> > happens to be down at the time, what then? I don't get the
> > email.
>
> Not necessarily. If the sending server behaves "correctly", then will
> try again after failing, and the email will normally "loop" (without
> either sender or recipient noticing) until the receiving sender is up
> again. That is what happens after a few hours of the aktivix server
> being down - we all receive all those waiting messages at last.

But surely it is exactly the same with greylisting? If my
server is using greylisting then it is just like a server that
happens to be down some of the time. If a sending server can't
cope with greylisting by trying again till it works or deciding
to give up, then it won't be able to cope with a server that
is intermittently unavailable for any other reason?

I agreed that greylisting would increase the frequency of failures
(just like having a server that is down a lot of time would). But
these servers out there that are behaving "incorrectly" would still
result in some failed messages even if nobody was using greylisting.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/