[AktiviX-discuss] [Fwd: [HacktionLab] Proposal for UK-style Riseup to discuss at HacktionLab/Leeds]

mp mp at aktivix.org
Wed Sep 17 16:46:39 UTC 2008

!

-------- Original Message --------

I have recently spoken to Ben and Sam about a proposal to stablish a
network of hosting services in the UK aimed at activist, social and
not-for-profit organisations.  This could be described as being in the
same vein as Riseup, or even be as a partner project as an extension to
Riseup, providing additional support and resources.

The main aim for me would be to be able to provide a solid network of
mirrored servers for a hosting platform that would eliminate all the
duplication of work due to lots of individual servers being run, would
eliminate loss of work due to servers being switched off, breaking,
people getting fed up, money running out, or servers getting seized, etc.

Anyway, Ben and my thoughts were that this could be tabled as a topic of
conversation on the Sunday 26th in Leeds as one of the principal
networks that could benefit from this would be Indy in the UK.  I've
started to pen some ideas in the Wiki that could probably become their
own page shortly:

http://www.hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/HacktionLab_Leeds_2008/02#Proposal_for_RiseUp-style_services_for_the_UK

Please feel free to supply your comments and suggestions, and change it
as you like.

We're thinking of inviting the folks from Aktivix and BLAG along, as
these are exsiting projects with similar aims that may benefit from
joining as a bigger project.  Hope also to get some input from Riseup
themselves, any if anyone else knows of anyone else, etc, fire away...

I'm excited by this prospect and feel that it could be a really positive
and constructive proposal to come out of the weekend.

Cheers,

Mike.