[AktiviX-discuss] data retention, was: using ssl with a mac client ('mail')

ana ana at aktivix.org
Fri Sep 26 09:21:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Ian Gregory wrote:

> Admittedly my ISP could be storing/monitoring my
> email, but if anything needs to be secret I use GnuPG for strong
> end-to-end encryption so that does not really concern me.

>From 1st January, your ISP will bee "obliged" to store and retain all your
data, unless lots of campaigning and lobbying stops a european directive
now being passed and the subsequent adoption in British law. which is not
very likely to happen because the british gov . has already expressed an
interest in how to map people - ie. building a map of personal
relationships, of the entire population, and for this plan internet data
retention is perfect.

using gnupg only for when you need it does the state another favour - you
tell them what is important enough to be encrypted. plus, remember that
the headers and the subject are not encrypted, so they probably have what
they want anyway - subject of what you send, person you send to, time you
send, your ip address, your isp etc etc.

tls/ssl is a way of contesting this mapping, of refusing to give the data
they want to control our communications -and throuh them, our lives. in
terms of keeping as much information about ourselves as private as it
should be, tsl/ssl is a better tool than pgp.

ana