[AktiviX-discuss] Fwd: We're not there yet. Please show a little, love.

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Fri Aug 7 09:57:54 UTC 2009

> sorry the second query i'm not sure, i think it is a default setting
> in mailman but i'm not sure how to change. in any case, i bet it is
> only yahoo, msn and gmail addresses doing that ;) for me easiest way
> to solve this would be to get all users to add the bounces address to
> their "trusted" list ... but other people may give you better advice
>
> a.

AFAIK the bounces thing is like that so that when people (inevitably)
switch on their out of office autoreplies without unsubscribing from
lists the whole list doesn't get spammed.

Some domains might filter by sender address, but its /far/ more likely
that they're filtering by domain or IP. Either way, asking people to
whitelist sender is the way to go. And also telling them to use an
activist email provider ;-)

BTW - it looks like the SPF record for aktivix.org could do with an
update, although lists.aktivix seems OK so that ain't the problem.

$ dig aktivix.org mx
- -----------------8<---------------
;; ANSWER SECTION:
aktivix.org.            7033    IN      MX      0 newyear.aktivix.org.
- -----------------8<---------------
$ dig aktivix.org txt
- -----------------8<---------------
;; ANSWER SECTION:
aktivix.org.            7187    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a mx
a:miro.burngreave.net a:somme.aktivix.org include:burngreave.net ~all"
- -----------------8<---------------

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** Tell us what you'd like to see in the NI: http://tr.im/nitopic09 **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK