[AktiviX-discuss] CSC website hosting

Alan alan at aktivix.org
Tue Apr 6 23:34:44 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I was hoping to ask here for any advice or recommendations about secure
web hosting for the Colombia Solidarity Campaign

Our website in the past had been hacked due to poor server security (we
were on commercial hosts streamline.net), and so it was moved to loaned
server space setup with SSH and HTTPS web access which has worked well
for us.

The website runs on an old Joomla CMS install, with diskspace usage of
about 170MB. The hosting would need PHP and a MYSQL database. It's not
particularly demanding of server resources, the main thing is that we
need it to be really secure.

We need to be able to count on the hosting for privacy and security, and
that the website wouldn't be deactivated for offending Colombian
government supporters (our loaned server space got a letter along these
lines).

I'm not a sysadmin so I couldn't set-up and maintain a virtual server
myself, but also I think the campaign could only justify hosting costs
of £100 or so a year. Maybe Aktivix can offer hosting, which we would
gladly pay for.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have
Alan (CSC)