[AktiviX-discuss] Enigmail 1.7 vs aktivix's mailman

Metabrot metabrot at aktivix.org
Sat Aug 9 10:36:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

we're having a PGP encrypted mailing list on lists.aktivix.org and since
we upgraded to Enigmail 1.7 locally our messages on that list - and that
list only - are parsed wrong and displayed wrongly. Enigmail reports:

> Decrypted message (restored broken PGP email format probably caused
> by an old Exchange server, so that the result might not be perfect to
> read)

Indeed, looking at the source of the message as it arrives mailmain
seems to have post-processed it (note that "This is an OpenPGP/MIME
encrypted message (RFC 4880 and 3156)" appears twice):

This is an OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
--===============3072352571433364482==

This is an OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
--omj7QCSxCK1vHm39Uj7rDibPHfJB9rbWs

Version: 1

--omj7QCSxCK1vHm39Uj7rDibPHfJB9rbWs

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1

hQIMA0vWsx4dwqVDAQ//XYKPjb0xv74GYjZvszCYsYxjh3ddrBucT4Vi5S7DbV2l
<snip>
14S7IeGEk5YD3voz7HJ/YSh+
=wp+L
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--omj7QCSxCK1vHm39Uj7rDibPHfJB9rbWs--

--===============3072352571433364482==

--===============3072352571433364482==--

So it seems mailman tries to extract the first part of the multipart
message and this causes Enigmail 1.7 being a bit too helpful, i.e.
parsing the message wrong. I have "Content-Filter" disabled and also
"Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
content?" so I wonder if there's anything else I can/should do to
rectify the situation?

Cheers,
Meta