[AktiviX-discuss] Security in Thunderbird using a gmail account

bou bou at aktivix.org
Wed Aug 29 10:24:25 UTC 2018

Hi

I was hoping for a more expert response from this list, but lacking
that, here mine goes.

It depends on your definition of "security" or what kind of security you
need.

From an aktivix admin point of view, just 'having' a gmail account
yourself you are compromising your own privacy to one of the biggest
corporations of the world.

The more you use it, the more you compromise. Remember both gmail and
your internet service provider, if you pay one, (and if you don't, the
provider of the library or whoever else's you use) record the times and
durations of your connections to the gmail servers.

In terms of real life practical needs, it seems most people need to
compromise in order, for example, to use very widely-used applications
that we end up needing in order to have necessary communications as is
nowadays expected (I am talking whatsapp).

Also in practical terms, if you include your gmail account in your
thunderbird, interactions between the two depend on the default of both,
and the settings you can control in both interfaces. i know roughly what
things I can and can't control using thunderbird; I honestly do not know
what things gmail can do in my computer using the access it gains when
installing a gmail account on thunderbird.

What I do know from ubuntu default settings and internet readings etc is
that Gmail does not 'like' you using an email client with gmail
accounts. Gmail prefers users to use the Gmail interface, maybe becuase
they have put so much money and effort to make what allegedly is the
best email interface available, or maybe it is because it is possible to
observe and record patterns of behavious (including when emails are
received, opened, answered, sent, possibly even key strokes as emails
are typed) when using the interface than using a mail client that will
only let gmail know when emails are received and sent.

If gmail would interfere with other mailboxes including aktivix, I don't
know, but same as I said that the least we use google the better, I
would say if we must use it, the further away we keep google from more
humane services the better.

I believe this applies to all big corporations providing services 'for
free'.

Hope this helps

bou

1 of aktivix