[alt-media-res] Up Date from Palestine

Pennie Quinton pennieq at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 16:03:46 BST 2006

Hey everyone
It is very full on here the conflict is shifting into a new gear since the election of the Israeli Kadima party.
In every city in the West Bank young people are being executed in targeted assinations for allegedly being part of the armed resistance.  There is no judicial system or arrests of those wanted, generally the army invades a civilian area and then open fires on those that they want.
Young people known to be politically active ( not part of the armed struggle)  within their community are arrested and held without having access to any kind of civilian hearing. Those arrested average between 12 and 20 years. There is a process of interrogation and beatings before they  are presented to a closed military court inside Israel.
They are not entitled to see any of the evidence against them as this is deemed a security risk to the state of Israel. I have been these last days in Nablas visiting  a community TV project called Asia 1 which covers the sitiuation within Nablas which is suffering from Israeli military attentions second only to Gaza.
I went to cover arrests of young women and shootings of young men for the IMEMC project. Every one in this office is Palestinain and travel even the shortest distance is fraught with difficulty and risk so they mainly cover the stories by calling people in the other cities.
They have been very eager for me to be in the field.
Currently  I am mainly  volunteering at the International Middle Eastern media Centre in Beit Sahour, subbing their reports and making radio pieces.
Someone was killed here in Beit Sahour yesterday,  brutally asassinated, he was wanted. The army open fired on  him in broad daylight he was shot over fifteen times and his brain was exploded on the pavement pretty grim.
I will be sending a report and transcripts of interviews with media projects and victims of this regieme one way and another  in both Beit Sahour and Nablas. Also we are in the process of resetting up Indy media Palestine which is very great for our project.
  All the best
Pen

 Don't Hate the Media - Be the Media!
Every Wed 1pm Resonance FM 104.4