[alt-media-res] Fw: Re Alt Media Malarkey

zoe zoe at esemplastic.net
Thu Feb 15 23:25:42 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "SchNEWS" <schnews at brighton.co.uk>
To: "zoe" <zoe at esemplastic.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:17 PM
Subject: Re Alt Media Malarkey

Hi Zoe
Shit sorry it's Thursday - we missed having a chat. Unfortunately we are
all still a bit too flat out to really start organising ourselves with
the conference - eg - the office is still in chaos with computer
nightmares and lack of proper broadband connection, and I've got baby
duties and blah blah, so we're only getting a few hours a week to devote
to this conference, but this will change soon.

 From the chats we've managed to have amongst ourselves, we are still
trying to conceptualise what we want out of it, what others want from
it, what direction to weight it - eg what aspects of alt media to
emphasise etc, what activities to put on, whose been contacting us with
feedback, etc. You offer is another thing we have to factor in - and as
I said we haven't ruled it out, but we are wary of how it could work.

The general consensus amongst us at this stage is that we would like to
press ahead and start organising and talking through the event as though
it was just us doing it, for the time being. We are thinking we need to
keep this overtly an event being done by and for
'grassroots'/alternative/activist/volunteer-run media, so injecting
stuff which is a bit 'academic' in the publicity could put people off.
You will probably have already realised this might be an issue so I'd
like to hear what your thoughts are there.

I doubt anyone would object to having some sort of participation from
your project - perhaps doing a workshop/talk, and there'll be plenty of
time scheduled for people to just freely interact.

Have a look at the text below - it is the blurb we are building up, and
will go up on our website soonish after a bit more work. Perhaps it
would be helpful if you could write out a blurb or synopsis of what you
might have in mind - maybe dealing with peoples' reservations about
doing an activist/academic mix - and it'd be easier for us to put it to
people here.

Let us know what you reckon,
Cheers,
John

*M For Multimedia Malarkey – the SchNEWS alternative media gathering 2007*

Date: May 11-13th 2007

Place: Cowley Club, 12 London Rd, Brighton, BN1 4JA.

SchNEWS, the UK's longest running direct action newssheet invites you to
it’s first multi-media-activist gathering. As well as a coming together
of those already involved in web, video, print, photography, and radio
in alternative/independent media, this event will also be for new people
wanting to get involved. There will be workshops for learning practical
skills, as well as discussions and forums for those already involved in
the media activist malarkey. There will be screenings and stalls
throughout the weekend to showcase what's currently being produced
independently, as well as a live satirical news show on Saturday
evening, with the obligatory messy party with bands/dj's to follow.

As part of the weekend's activities, there will be participatory
workshops in video, print and radio, which will culminate in short
films, print publications and radio shows being produced during the
weekend, which will be published immediately at the end of the
gathering. In these sessions the focus will be on exchanging the skills
required to start and finish something, as well as looking at preparing
the final material for publishing online or printing. Experienced people
in these media will be on hand to keep it all moving.

As well as technical discussions about specific things like compressing
video or desktop publishing, here is an example of the sorts of topics
which may come up in workshops and discussions...

* The logistics of running independent media coverage for an event like
a G8 protest.

* Are your flyers/leaflets turning people off? Top tips on designing
effective flyers/leaflets.

* What are the current/emerging direct action campaigns and how
alternative media can help them

* Newssheets or websites – what's good for publicising a campaign or
mobilising a community.

* Ditching pirate copies of commercial media production software and
moving to Free/Open Source Software.

* Websites – some are good, others not – tips on how to make any easy to
use website.

* Other 'media' – eg – graffiti, stickers, subvertised billboards

This is just a short list of ideas – if you have other suggestions, or
would like to be part of these discussions – or give workshops - email
us asap.

*Proposed Itinerary*

An itinerary will emerge in due course as workshops etc are confirmed –
and will be put online as soon as possible - but at the same time we
don't want to get bogged down running an impossible schedule all
weekend. And because many of the people coming will want to participate
in the shaping of the agenda during the gathering, gaps will be left for
people to insert other activities or just informal meeting time.

*(The following is entirely speculative at this stage)*

*Friday*

2pm: Cowley Club will open from 2pm for setting up and welcoming folk
followed by a meal at 6pm, an evening of screenings, chilling out after
travelling and sorting out digs, with a stalls and displays.

*Saturday*

10am: Opening 'speech' – discussing what will happen over weekend, a
discussion of the role of alternative media, and a go-round to get names
of people from the different groups. This time will allow groups to set
up and get a take on the timetable for the weekend. After lunch a range
of talks and workshops will begin, until dinner, after which there will
be the satirical news show followed by band/party.

*Sunday*

Talks/workshops 11am-6pm (as you do), followed by evening meal, more
film screenings, and finishing off of projects.

*Cost*

The event will be free/donation, and it is hoped that there will be
cheap vegan food available at mealtimes from the Cowley Club kitchen all
weekend.

*Suggested groups who will be involved (if you see your name here get in
contact, if you don't get in contact anyway)*

*Video: *Camcorder Guerillas – Glasgow / Indymedia / Revolt Video –
Ireland / Reel2Reel – London / SchMOVIES – Brighton / ClearerChannel /
Kinokast - / Undercurrents – Swansea / Fenceline Films – Midlands /
Pixie Pictures – Scotland /

*Web: *Indymedia – regions / ClearerChannel /

*Print: *SchNEWS – Brighton / Bristle – Bristol / Gagged – Cardiff /
Porkbolter – Worthing / Freedom - London

*Radio: *Radio 4A – Brighton /

Obviously this is only a small amount of the collectives out there, if
you want to get involved give us a shout.

If you would like to get involved contact SchNEWS soon, indicating what
your interests are, how you would like to participate, and whether you
need accommodation.

SchNEWS – tel 01273 685 913, email schnews at brighton.co.uk web
www.schnews.org.uk <http://www.schnews.org.uk>