[alt-media-res] exequo as channel for LDA support to metadata standard finalisation and implementation?

zoe zoe at esemplastic.net
Tue Jan 30 21:52:07 GMT 2007

hey there matadaters (had to adopt that term from jamie, naff but nice)

Well:
here's the scenario as I understand it
(please do correct, query, challenge etc as appropriate):
Alistair and I have some determination to get this metadata thing moving and
applied.
Various people have the technical skills but not necessarily the will to
assist at present.
Altogether it's hard work, both on the soft strategic and the hard techie
side of this mission, and we everyone involved deserves a basic wage.... as
well as having costs covered.
Simon has a connection to the London Development Agency who have plenty
money to be rid of in this field.
Exequo was set up to be a channel for missions just like this, and Anna is
the person to liaise with on this for now.

Now.
LDA are offering <£30k for technological development in a business in the
London area.
They require that that business have an equivalent turnover already from
other sources, as proven thro invoices for relevant work.
They also need an academic to be involved who may (or may not, simon to
confirm?) need to be based in London and/or a London-based institution,
through which the money (<£10k?) for them would be channeled.
The focus of the bid would be finalising and implementing the metadata
standard among online video projects using exequo already, also others in
the london area.

So.
Assuming we were to draw up a proposal (Simon will send previously
successful samples) for LDA, is Exequo in a position to be the channel for
this money?

If so:
Who would do the technical work of finalising the standard and making it
easy for people to implement? Alistair and I can do a lot of outreach, but
we'll need a collaboratively minded ubergeek or two to work with...
How would the project be planned and overseen? there has been talk of a
'board', how would that work?
Who would be in charge of administrative stuff with LDA, banks, IR, etc?

Meanwhile:
Jamie King is applying to the OSI for something vaguely similar but with
specific reference to his and Jan's GIGO project, I can imagine this would
be an added bonus if successful rather than doubling up, is this right?
Alistair is working on some documentation to explain to people more clearly
why the metadata standardisation mission is a good and valuable thing that
they should collaborate with.
IFIWatch.tv (with online video largely hosted by Exequo) is possibly going
to be a test case for the aggregator work for which Simon is also helping to
try and channel LDA money via GreenMan's emerging company for Drupal
development and training.
The Alt-media-research project which supported re:transmission and the first
stages of the metadata standard development is coming to an end, but may
lead to further academic interest in - and related funding for - technical
standard development. the list for that project is copied here - that goes
to andre (who participated in re:tx) as well as sian, steffen and pennie,
hello you all if you've read this far!

OK, nuff for now, looking forward to hearing from yous...................

xxxx

Networking Online Video for Social Change: http://www.transmission.cc
Films about International Financial Institutions: http://www.ifiwatch.tv
Writing on the Global Environment Facility: http://www.newgreenorder.info
http://shootingpeople.org/cards/zoe   skype: zoeyou   yahoo: eyesonifis
zoe at esemplastic.net, eyes at ifiwatchnet.org, zoeontheroad at hotmail.com
tel: 44 (0) 20 7723 2875 uk local rate: 0845 345 0967 mobile: 44 (0) 7931
316970