[alt-media-res] transmission video metadata standardisation update

zoe zoe at esemplastic.net
Tue Jul 10 01:58:34 BST 2007

hi everyone

richard hering of undercurrents (uk) was asking for a non-techie,
user-friendly explanation of the transmission metadata standardisation
process, why we're doing it etc... it's a very sensible question and we
urgently need to develop such a text, in various languages.. can you help?

there's a place on the wiki where Alistair has drafted something that I've
also worked on a little bit
http://wiki.transmission.cc/index.php/What%2C_who%2C_why_the_standard#What_is_the_Transmission_Metadata_Standard_.28TMS.29.3F
needs to say more (in less space) so constructive inputs welcome, at some
point we'll need to translate it - say by the end of august?

meanwhile the OSI has promised jamie and jan some more money to enable this
development and implementation, which should come through, and work restart,
in the next couple of months. the new drupal-based www.ifiwatch.tv will be a
user test case for this process. it is (really) nearly ready to expose in
beta form, seems we'll be using the new 'simplepie' php feedparser...

so - we'll be tickling you a bit more during the coming months, getting the
standard packaged and ready for you all to implement.. so that we can
aggregate and sort among each others' feeds! my job will be mainly outreach,
persuasion, seduction of even the most non-techie or out on a limb project
to engage in this active technical co-operation. having come into this work
from a totally non-tech background (and still only here because I really,
really want to distribute and find my own kind of films more easily) I'm
sure you'll understand that sometimes I'll have less of an idea what to do
than you do. I'll do my best to liaise between techies and users and try to
grease our intersecting cogs...but to some degree I'll rely on you to let me
know what needs doing...

we also have a new funding bid in process here in london to establish a
means within the metadata standard to help users channel funds back to a
video's producers, will send more info on that soon.

looking forward to some more updates from transmission-linked projects and
working groups...?

cheers

zoe

Networking Online Video for Social Change: http://www.transmission.cc
Films about International Financial Institutions: http://www.ifiwatch.tv
Writing on the Global Environment Facility: http://www.newgreenorder.info
http://shootingpeople.org/cards/zoe   skype: zoeyou   yahoo: eyesonifis
zoe at esemplastic.net, eyes at ifiwatchnet.org, zoeontheroad at hotmail.com
tel: 44 (0) 20 7723 2875 uk local rate: 0845 345 0967 mobile: 44 (0) 7931
316970

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the
spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that
spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives
people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the
presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the
range of the debate." Noam Chomsky