[BigBlether] zapatista event edin mon 12th

Mike mike77 at macunlimited.net
Sat Jun 10 15:55:11 BST 2006

!ZAPATISTA!
First hand report of 2006 visit to our twinned zapatista autonomous municipality.
What is the Other Campaign?
A public event with talks, slide show, questions and discussion
zapatista coffee and handicrafts for sale
Organised by Edinburgh-Chiapas Solidarity Group

Monday 12th June
8pm at:

Quaker Meeting House
Victoria Terrace
Edinburgh
EH1 2JL

Victoria Terrace runs above Victoria St.,  just off George IV Bridge, in Edinburgh's old town.
The venue is fully accessible (ramp and lift).

There will be a slide show and a report from recent visits
to our twinned zapatista municipality '16 de Febrero', including
the beginning of construction of the autonomous health
clinic, which the Edinburgh and Glasgow solidarity groups have
been fundraising for.

This will be followed by an update and discussion on the Other
Campaign, the Zapatista instigated grassroots alternative to the
Mexican presidential election.

There will be a report on the recent brutal attack by the Mexican police
on the citizens of Atenco, near Mexico City.  Two people were killed
by the police attack, and several women were raped and sexually
assaulted by the police.

Zapatista merchandise including coffee, amber jewellery
and textiles will be available.  All proceeds will go towards the
funding of a health clinic in '16 de Febrero':
http://www.edinchiapas.revolt.org/healthclinic.html

Edinburgh-Chiapas Solidarity Group, c/o 17 W Montgomery Place EH7 5HA
www.edinchiapas.org.uk  edinchiapas at yahoo.co.uk