[blag-whereto] what's the command for that?

r7 r7 at aktivix.org
Mon Apr 13 14:29:04 BST 2009

john maclean wrote:

> Sorry please expand on the question. What do you mean by "the command
> that gives the output"?

sorry, i probably didn't explain myself very well. the page in question:

https://blag.wiki.aktivix.org/Parted

contains package information from the parted package that appeared in
the 30k series of blag.

my original question is what command gives that output, but i'd like to
broaden it in light some of the answers i've received both here on the
list and in #blag.

  renilgh suggested: rpm -qi parted
  esp and others suggested: apt-cache show parted
  and my own playing around revealed: yum info parted

so which do we want? if we're going to update a bunch of pages like
this, it makes sense to decide before we start. following are the three
outputs for comparison purposes [with my short comments after each one]:

  [r7 at box blag]$ rpm -qi parted
  Name        : parted                       Relocations: (not
                                             relocatable)
  Version     : 1.8.8                        Vendor: Fedora Project
  Release     : 5.fc9                        Build Date: Thu 10 Apr
                                             2008 22:46:28 CEST
  Install Date: Mon 09 Jun 2008 01:38:13 CEST
  Build Host:   xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
  Group       : Applications/System          Source RPM:
                                             parted-1.8.8-5.fc9.src.rpm
  Size        : 1702291                      License: GPLv3+
  Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 14 Apr 2008 16:33:57 CEST, Key ID
    b44269d04f2a6fd2
  Packager    : Fedora Project
  URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/parted
  Summary     : The GNU disk partition manipulation program
  Description :
  The GNU Parted program allows you to create, destroy, resize, move,
  and copy hard disk partitions. Parted can be used for creating space
  for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, and copying data
  to new hard disks.

this is obviously the answer to my question...

  [r7 at box blag]$ apt-cache show parted
  Package: parted
  Section: Applications/System
  Installed Size: 1702291
  Packager: Fedora Project
  Version: 1.8.8-5.fc9
  Pre-Depends: /bin/sh, /bin/sh, /sbin/install-info, /sbin/install-info,
               /sbin/ldconfig, /sbin/ldconfig, /sbin/ldconfig
  Depends: libc.so.6, libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0), libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1),
           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3), libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2),
           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3), libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4),
           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4), libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.7),
           libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.8), libdevmapper.so.1.02,
           libdevmapper.so.1.02(Base), libdl.so.2,
           libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0), libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1),
           libparted-1.8.so.8, libreadline.so.5, libselinux.so.1,
           libsepol.so.1, libtinfo.so.5, libuuid.so.1, rtld(GNU_HASH)
  Provides: libparted-1.8.so.8, parted = 1.8.8-5.fc9
  Architecture: i386
  Size: 671857
  MD5Sum: 9f225922f81842b86f11ef25f8d3e1b4
  Filename: parted-1.8.8-5.fc9.i386.rpm
   The GNU Parted program allows you to create, destroy, resize, move,
   and copy hard disk partitions. Parted can be used for creating space
   for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, and copying data
   to new hard disks.

handy that it provides Pre-depends, Depends and Provides additional
information. *but* should we be using apt-cache if we're not using
apt-get as our updater?

  [r7 at box blag]$ yum info parted
  Name       : parted
  Arch       : i386
  Version    : 1.8.8
  Release    : 5.fc9
  Size       : 1.6 M
  Repo       : installed
  Summary    : The GNU disk partition manipulation program
  URL        : http://www.gnu.org/software/parted
  License    : GPLv3+
             : resize, move, and copy hard disk partitions. Parted
             : can be used for creating space for new operating systems,
             : reorganizing disk usage, and copying data to new hard
             : disks.

most concise and with the advantage that it's based on yum which we use.

comments are welcome. i think my preference is for the rpm -qi option.

r7
--
r7 [at] aktivix [dot] org