[blag-whereto] fsf come up trumps

r7 r7 at aktivix.org
Thu Apr 30 23:12:06 BST 2009

hi all

here's a conversation i had earlier this evening with djbclark:

18:02 < r7> djbclark: hey
18:02  * r7 is from the blag collective [in case you weren't aware]
18:03 < r7> we had a meeting last night
18:03 < r7> and were wondering where we were up to with the fsf offer on
server space
18:04 < r7> if you prefer we can have this conversation in
irc.indymedia.org #blag as it's off-topic here
21:43 < djbclark> r7: I guess I'll have to be assimalted ;-) -- so we
can get you a virtual machine now, but with about 1/2 the disk space you
requested; we can get you more disk space in arond 1-3 weeks most likely.
21:45 < djbclark> r7: If everything will be mirrored elsewhere (which
really should be the case anyway :-), might be able to get you up with
like an esata non-raid 500GB drive just for blag next week; major
downside would be time to get back up should the disk die (we'd need to
travel to co-lo), and time to reload with data from offsite.
21:45 < r7> that's cool
21:45 < djbclark> r7: or if you'd prefer space and can sacrifice a whole
lot of bandwidth, might be able to put you behind the office T1 for a bit.
21:45  * r7 will pass that on
21:46 < djbclark> (with random 500GB disk)
21:46 < r7> we're not moving that quickly at the moment
21:46 < r7> so don't stress about it
21:46 < r7> that's a shorter timescale than we *need*
21:46 < r7> so i think that'll be fine
21:47 < r7> many thanks
21:47 < djbclark> r7: I mentioned several options; what specifically
will be fine? :-)
21:48 < r7> your 1st 2 lines
21:49 < r7> we *will* be mirroring
21:49 < djbclark> r7: k; so if I get lxo root access, I assume he'll be
able to deal with whatever
                  other access people need?
21:50 < djbclark> r7: k, so 150GB VM now + 500GB esata as quickly as
possible... I'll go order the
                  external case and dual-port esata smoogie now...
21:50 < r7> :-)
21:50 < r7> \o/
21:52 < r7> this is excellent news for us
21:52 < r7> many many thanks
21:52 < r7> and thanks lxo for working with us on it
21:53 < djbclark> r7: thank you all for your work! we only wish we had
more people & resources to
                  provide :-D
21:53 < r7> small party going on in #blag now :-)
21:53 <@lxo> djbclark, thanks a lot
21:54 < djbclark> r7: yeah yeah I'll get off my lazy ass and remember
how to add a new IRC server connection in weechat... I haven't done it
in like years, everyone seems to use freenode or oftcnet now... also I'm
switching over to anlother comp as my IRC host as the noe I am on from
now is going to be moved as part of a network update (not at fsf), so
I'll be gone for a few minutes at some point soon...
21:55 < r7> okidoki
21:58 < djbclark> r7: Also you'll want to follow the !fsfstatus group on
identi.ca in some fashion; it's how we announce planned and unplanned
downtime etc. http://identi.ca/group/fsfstatus
22:00 < r7> noted
22:03 < djbclark> r7: order for the enclosure + dual-port esata bracket
placed... I'll be able to drive up to quincy the day after they come
next week... guessing wednesdayish.
22:04 < r7> :-)
22:33 < r7> djbclark: can we have an email addy to thank you at please?
22:33 < r7> formally as a collective i mean
22:36 < djbclark> I'm dclark [AT] fsf [DOT] org - however fi you want to
put a cnotact email on the blag site etc. along with the fsfstatus URL,
that wshuld be sysadmin [AT] gnu [DOT] org
22:43 < r7> ok

how good is that! so it's up to us now...

love & rage
r7
--
r7 [at] aktivix [dot] org