[blag-whereto] fsf come up trumps

Danny Clark dclark at fsf.org
Fri May 1 00:20:46 BST 2009

john maclean wrote:
> 2009/4/30 r7 <r7 at aktivix.org>:
>> hi all
>>
>> here's a conversation i had earlier this evening with djbclark:

>> 18:02 < r7> djbclark: hey
>> 18:02  * r7 is from the blag collective [in case you weren't aware]
>> 18:03 < r7> we had a meeting last night
>> 18:03 < r7> and were wondering where we were up to with the fsf offer on
>> server space
>> 18:04 < r7> if you prefer we can have this conversation in
>> irc.indymedia.org #blag as it's off-topic here
>> 21:43 < djbclark> r7: I guess I'll have to be assimalted ;-) -- so we
>> can get you a virtual machine now, but with about 1/2 the disk space you
>> requested; we can get you more disk space in arond 1-3 weeks most likely.
>> 21:45 < djbclark> r7: If everything will be mirrored elsewhere (which
>> really should be the case anyway :-), might be able to get you up with
>> like an esata non-raid 500GB drive just for blag next week; major
>> downside would be time to get back up should the disk die (we'd need to
>> travel to co-lo), and time to reload with data from offsite.
>> 21:45 < r7> that's cool
>> 21:45 < djbclark> r7: or if you'd prefer space and can sacrifice a whole
>> lot of bandwidth, might be able to put you behind the office T1 for a bit.
>> 21:45  * r7 will pass that on
>> 21:46 < djbclark> (with random 500GB disk)
>

> Non-raid. get mirroring and rsyncing.

To be more specific the system will be on RAID1 (say around 40GB), and
the data disk will be non-RAID (300GB).

We can put the 300GB on RAID after we get a new server to our colo, but
that will be like 2-3 weeks (colleague still doing some coreboot and Xen
related hacking on it), whereas I can get the 40+300 up probably late
next week (the day after whenever the external esata enclosure arrives
in the mail)

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny