[blag-whereto] Fwd: [FSF] FSF launches new free software activist internship program

john maclean jayeola at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:48:59 BST 2009

Spread the word!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Sullivan <johns at fsf.org>
Date: 2009/5/7
Subject: [FSF] FSF launches new free software activist internship program
To: info-fsf at gnu.org, info-press at gnu.org

BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Thursday, May 7, 2009 -- The Free Software
Foundation (FSF) today announced a new internship program for free software
activists, inviting students to apply for its first round of openings by
Monday, May 25th.

The program provides opportunities for participants to work closely with FSF
staff members for twelve-week terms in core areas of the FSF's work, including
campaign and community organizing, free software licensing, systems and network
administration, GNU project support, and web development.

"We have provided internships on and off over the years, but we're excited to
be able to offer these more permanent educational opportunities. We're looking
forward to working with and learning from students, and I'm glad that as part
of our continued growth we are able to offer a place where students concerned
with free software ethics can help advance a cause they care about," said John
Sullivan, FSF's operations manager.

The internships are unpaid, but the FSF will provide the documentation needed
for students to receive funding or credit from outside sources. A limited
number of positions are available, and priority will be given to candidates
able to work full-time on-site at the FSF headquarters in Boston.

Application instructions and further details about the program are available at
<http://www.fsf.org/volunteer/internships>.

### About the Free Software Foundation

The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting
computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer
programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as in freedom)
software -- particularly the GNU operating system and its GNU/Linux variants --
and free documentation for free software. The FSF also helps to spread
awareness of the ethical and political issues of freedom in the use of
software, and its Web sites, located at fsf.org and gnu.org, are an important
source of information about GNU/Linux. Donations to support the FSF's work can
be made at <http://donate.fsf.org>. Its headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.

### Media Contacts

John Sullivan
Operations Manager