[blag-whereto] Blag Server

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Sat Jun 11 01:08:10 UTC 2011

On Jun  8, 2011, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:

> The server is down ATM.  It's being temporarily connected to the
> Linux-libre VM, so that I can try filesystem recovery there.

I tried it, but ext3grep couldn't recover anything whatsoever.
Journaled ext filesystems zero out the data about location of files, so
files can only be recovered when the previous information is still in
the journal.  In our case, there was far too much disk activity between
the removal of the files and the realization that something was wrong,
including my upgrade trial in a chroot, so the journal only had very
recent information, nothing about the deleted files from the repository.

Nevertheless, I tried ext3grep, and it “recovered” about 17GB of data:
the very 17GB that still remained in the filesystem.

So I'm giving up and asking the FSF folks to bring the BLAG server back
up.  We'll have to repopulated it from scratch.  Koko, I hope you manage
to bring the disk that held a copy of the repo back to life, that's
probably our final hope.

Sorry again,