[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [civilisation] Democracy & Full Employment

A GRAY gray.201 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 12 15:36:21 BST 2009

Trouble is if you offer people a good wage for doing a few hours' work per week to replace their pathetic level of benefit, two problems will still remain.  Firstly, anyone who is content with that amount of work/income will do precisely that for as long as they are allowed, rather than take 'open market' jobs for less money per hours. The employers will complain that the scheme takes away potential recruits to low paid jobs and the neo-liberal economists will say that the scheme keeps wages up so prevents people going into the jobs that employers can 'afford' to pay for. Secondly, if you limit the no. of months someone can spend in the 4-hours-at-good pay system what happens to them after that ?  Are you suggesting no benefits ?  or an even lower level than at present ?  or what ?

There is a VAST literature on different ways of dealing with unemployment and benefits  which I have touched on in my own writing - see Unsocial Europe (Pluto 2004) and an article in the International Social Security Review in 1993.

best

Anne Gray