[Campaignforrealdemocracy] re Mark's message on CI etc last week

A GRAY gray.201 at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 18 21:09:00 BST 2009

My original reply didn't get to the lists of which I am not a member so here goes....

Hi Mark

sorry couldn't find links to Blanchflower article - I saw it in paper edition  Thurs. 13th and maybe search engine doesn't update that fast.

Yes I did read your msg. I do agree with CI as I thought I had implied earlier, but  it can have negative effects under certain conditions - to see why you would need to read a very complex debate  which I tried to address in some of my work, esp the 1993 article,  In a nutshell a low/'partial' CI subsidises bad employers just like tax credit does, whilst what people need is a sufficient income to refuse low paid work, which is the last thing capitalism wants to give them.  Your point about reciprocal obligations could however be taken to apply to ANY benefit system and this I think is the thin end of the wedge. If the workfarists see even the CI advocates espousing that idea (work/obligations of beneficiaries), it strengthens their case. Some people define and refer to CI as an 'unconditional' benefit to emphasise the difference - and the idea that people would get it as of right, not because of anything they do. Some people CAN'T do that much
 anyway, and let's not forget the govt's current drive to get people off incapacity related benefits into the JSA regime by various forms of bullying.

Notwithstanding the need for a sense of long term vision, we need, IMO, to engage with current realities like the govt's latest proposals and programmes. No harm therefore in trying to put forward a democratic alternative perspective to design of job creation programmes within the consultation/debate about the 'future jobs fund' etc.

all the best

Anne

(please note I am only sending this to lists I am not a member of because I was asked to do so - I don't really want to join more lists as I just have far too much e-mail)