[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Next 2012 / CRD Meeting + Minutes 8th June

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 1 08:05:44 BST 2009

Hi All

Here below and attached are the minutes from the first CRD (Campaign for
Real Democracy) meeting on June 8th. The next CRD meeting will take place at
the round table next to the Guernica tapestry, in the Whitechapel Gallery,
Aldgate East tube, on the eve of Thurs July 23rd, 6.30pm - 8.30pm. As space
is limited in the nature of the beast gallery pls confirm to
crdlondon at gmail.com if you plan to attend.

Please also feel free to forward this info and invite to others interested
in local and wider community democracy. If you would like to subscribe to
the CRD mailing and discussion list, email list admin at james at dogmanet.orgor
crdlondon at gmail.com

Here's a suggested agenda for this, following the 8th. Please comment.

(1) can we follow up 8.6 and agree to the creation of a formal "localists'
union" and confirm in preliminary form some of the basic formalities and key
demands (eg a people's building and new political structures in every
neighbourhood, + other reforms tbc..?) this will need to consist of ? union
could be based on the simple idea of "a network of individuals and
groups united in their struggle for a greater neighbourhood sovereignty
and a genuinely democratic society". If so, can we also discuss and perhaps
agree on first steps, what people are up for, action points to make formal
union a reality?
(2) to continue the process of identifying one or more London based (and any
other) local democracy projects we can get ourselves behind, and ways to
help spread the word about / share skills  / map what's already going on
(3) to consider format, and ways to mobilise and support August 15th
democracy picnic on Parliament Hill, Hampstead Heath
(4) as it's an art gallery, and space is being filmed on the theme of "the
nature of the beast" could we also do a simple, participatory art project
for the 1st half hour? What about the idea of people putting down in a few
words what they think to be the key obstacles to real democracy - this could
be anything from attitudes and values (eg "greed") to structures (eg
"centralisation") and anything else imbetween. We could write them all on
small bits of paper, each a brick in the "wall" we need to take down if we
are to tame the beast? So we could dedicated 6.30pm - 7pm for this bit and
then run  the rest of the meeting til gallery kicks out at 8.30pm, and then
adjourn if necessary to a suitable nearby establishment.. how does that
sound?

*Minutes from initial CRD Meeting, 8th June, RFH*

Present: 10. From Climate Camp, Haringey Solidarity/The Peoples' Palace,
Prisoners Support Network (LAI/PPMI), LVT Tax Network (CEJ, LLC), Government
of Dead, People in Common/Project 2012/Southgate Community, Community Sector
Coalition / National Coalition for Independent Action, London Civic Forum,
Barnet local campaiging, various independent/non-aligned

Apols: various

Meeting started by facilitator J as a general discussion around the basic
assumptions/ideas that

(1) localism is required for more/real democracy and
(2) 'representative democracy' isn't real democracy

Points/questions/ assertions that then arose included..

A brief discussion initially got underway on subject of what do we mean by
'local'? And what to call the ideas we are struggling for. This was returned
to later (see below)

M: morally, ecologically, politically and even economically, the idea
of "real democracy" in the context of small, human scale collectivities - ie
local, but also in other communities such as schools, workplaces, prisons
etc - is the way to go. what we call this is less important than the need to
keep coming back to this, the broad principle we have come together to
support?

R: what about funding / finance?

J: DIY should take precedence over money issues. The real value is found in
what we do, in action and thoughts that relate to our interdependence

MSN: it's about person value rather than money value, and people doing what
they actually want to do

M: perhaps we are talking a redefinition of the idea of 'work, to include no
just the things that one is paid to do, but more widely what ones is called
to do, in one's heart. Dole money presently used could be transferred
towards this end so that communities could offer people the opportunity to
do what they'd like, for a few hours a week, and so make the area more
distinctive. Communities coud compete with one another to offer the
opportunity to people to carry out their skill. In this context, one
shared vision might be of each neighbourhood having not just a parliament or
governmental function (with budgets to spend, democratically), but also a
"job centre function" whereby people get to collaborate with the local area
around the kinds of things they'd like to do, aswell as what needs
doing. Likewise banking function to lend to green businesses. (Of course,
some believe in living without money, and althoug that point was not raised
at the meeting that democratic option could be open to communities too).

J: we are encouraging communities to take control. Not telling them how to
live, but to trust in consensus decision-making and go from
there.

MS: consensus decision making doesn't produce fascism :-) But also, not sure
about the concept of "Local Sovereignty" - suggest we keep what we call it
open because of historical reference points that might make it problematic.

Discussion then focused on the Local Sovereignty concept: some like MS felt
sovereignty has too many ties eg to kings, executions, state power and all
that.  T made the point that language is very important, especialy when
we're trying to bring in something new. Parliament is the barrier, whereas
in 1649 it was the progressove force. Likes the idea of Governing Assemblies
for local democratic councils, rather than Parliament which has bourgeousie
implications. Presumably T is ok with use of "Local Sovereignty"?

N: problem is elected people who forget about us once they're voted in.

S: Local Sov as a concept might be hard for people to understand.

MSN: slight problem with "local", do we include people who work there,
aswell as those who live?  We need to involve everyone.

Suggestion is that local democratic decision making should include those
that have a stake in the area, including traders and visitors aswell as
residents akthough relative powers could be differerent. Further discussion
about merits or otherwise of use of words "local" and "community"
followed. Some like J felt "community democracy" might be better than
"local" as it is wider and not limited to "localism" others like M that it
was important to make the link to a geographical area in the name but
agreed Real Democracy RD should be about more than just localism.

M: Whatever it is called the matter will probably be decided by the press if
we are successful. They or our enemies will probably name u, probably in a
disparaging way and that's the name we'll have to live with. While in
agreement that discourse around concepts is useful, two practical things we
need to get to grips are:

(1) Philosophical: how to bring about a collective, philosophical change (so
that people see community as their liberation, ie actually believe "another
world is possible" and that the path to it is through the development of RD
with their neighbours etc.) and
(2)  Structural: what structural changes will be necessary.

R: Philosophically, it's about trust, everything will flow from that
[incidentally, there are some insights about trust, albeit partially in
context of elected politicians, in article today
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6549524.ece
 M]
R: structurally, giving away what you do as work, is that structural? eg in
the form of income tax. What about special privileges; eg mortgage holders
who benefit individually from gains in land value.

MS: agree it's about trust. Tempted to say it's about possibility and space
for trust to develop. Anything that questions and offers a space is good.
Culture of silence around these issues, need reflection and action.
Structurally, in terms of what is vital and tangible there is one way of
describing it via the trio of state, market & civil realms. Saul Alinsky
makes the point that these three actors cannot assume a degree of equality,
or partnership, without equal resources. Perhaps the civil realm in this
context is equivalent to Ts idea of 'governing assemblies'. We need some
kind of structure or else wverthing falls apart. The market is very strong,
and well supported. The government / state is also very strong. Civil realm
needs structures [to give it strength too? M]

N: need to end consumerism, and consumer competive attitude if we are to
bring on real democracy. Mentioned the RSA where everything is/was
once evenly priced / regulated

MSN government terminologies are worth watching; they are now talking about
"citizen" a lot

S: maybe there will be a crash, and this work is necessary so we will know
whato to do. The state / local council should just be preserving and
protecting, and we drive the rest

MSN: planning procedures in Barnet are terrible, bureacratic etc

J: suggests we move discussion on to subject of, in context of CRD, how are
we going to do it..? Talks about Ward's Corner in Seven Sisters Haringey.
Goes on to say that these kind of campaigns  are going on up and down the
country. Maybe we can find a number of these and offer a tool kit a( re DIY
democracy / consensus decision making) aswell as to provide an outlet for
people who care in a general way about democracy. Also, could be a way to
widen people's sights so they can see a bigger prize, in terms of community
sovereignty.

JN: concerns about sending in 'ringers' / telling people how to do their
campaign.

M: it's more about helping then to do what they're already doing more
effectively, by adding numbers to their group. but also,  as J says, to
maybe expand their horizon in terms of radicalism. Personally think this is
a great idea, but also keen to promote the concept of a Localists Union
as the best starting point for an effective CRD.

S: Localists Union idea appeals, also the concepts together add up to a
potentially useful skill-share

M: also there is idea of a Right to the City conference in the Winter - need
to link with Teresa Hoskyns (TH) and others about this at London Social
Forum (LSF)

*Action Points *

Everyone: locating suitable local groups to support generally and contact re
next meeting. Spread the word about next meeting generally. Consider what if
any core demands might helpfully unite localists, eg (1) a building in every
neighbour hood to be handed over to the people? (2) land to be ringfenced
for new intentional communities to start up (like kibbutz?) (3) others
suggested later in email conversation

M: to come up with next meeting (see note at top of email), also a separate
planning meeting for picnic and make contact with TH at LSF

J wrote a draft statement a few days after meeting, which came out as
follows:

*Draft Statement about Real Democracy*

Real democracy means, at the minimum, completely open community based
decision making run broadly on consensus principles having the final say on
everything that happens in that community

a few notes

what is a community - communities define themsleves and can be virtual
as well as real, people can be part of many communities but it is up to
communities themsleves how they define membership and what rights
different kinds of members might have (e.g. only residents have a right
to block proposals). However, The CRD will focus on helping small
geographical based communities where there are disputes between members
of the community and current governing institutions to define
themselves, increase participation / legitimacy use that to resist
unwelcome activity and take postive actions for the benefit of the
communities.