[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Fwd: camden & Hamm Fulham housing fights

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:21:39 BST 2009

Saw today in  Camden news about housing sell of reminded me of a possible
strategy, to encourage doubting councillors to join us on other side of the
barricades (against the  corp- centralisation which is pushing the agenda) &
so push  case for whole councils to do  same..? I've noted at many Enfield
Council meetings a desire among some councillors to side with us (the
genuinely) local activists in common cause against centralistion. I think
that would be a good button to push, wherever we are, don't you? Or maybe
you already are..
Here's a links to some of what I read in printed edition, which includes
residents views at the bottom of article, although I couldn't find the one
in newspaper which expressly mentioned barricades:
     http://www.thecnj.co.uk/camden/2009/070909/news070909_02.html

As you'll see from article there will be a rmeeting on the 27th July at
Camden Town Hall about this, which may glean some useful solidarity from
other defenders of local services.

Another flashpoint to note is the hammersmith and fulham bunfight with
Conservative Cllrs testing potential national policies on White City
etc  See eg
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/davehillblog/2009/jul/08/hammersmith-fulham-stephen-greenhalgh-housing-policy-boris-johnson

Best wishes
Mark

--
"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”