[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Thurs 23rd, CRD Minutes

Barry Fineberg barry at fineberg.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 14:50:54 BST 2009

Dear Mark,

Thank you and Simon for useful meeting notes which capture very well the flavour of  last weeks' discussion. This somewhat fragmentary vision does however highlight the need now to put together some distillation of all that into an initial position statement. This would then hopefully attract some agreement amongst the plethora of complementary groups and organisations 'out there' which, whilst retaining their own particularities, nevertheless can subscribe to a common social democratic understanding and its need for translation into mutually reinforcing action.

The scope for a mobilisation of civil society which that requires might, I believe, be shaped by
what I have for some years described as a spatial order corresponding with appropriate levels of need, a 'natural' organisational principle. The mapping of a hierarchy of social territories, local to global ( communities of communities), and its processes of local civic engagement can then be pursued in a coherent manner through delegative chains of accountability, bottom up.

My statement to the House of Commons Health Committee (January 2007) responded to their invitation for evidence enabling the design of local involvement networks in the performance of local health and welfare services. This set down the detailed case for and organisation of such networks, which I referred to in our discussion, and which can be accessed in Google under my name. Sorry you could not find it Mark but I it is still there. This framework of approach to a local reconfiguration
of all services, locally controlled and administered, offers I believe an incremental/evolutionary process of change that can be unthreatening to current management, bringing all service patterns into common focus with a plethora of cross-disciplinary agencies (cf Baby P etc), with local publics, and with their representatives. A framework for real democracy?

Cordially yours,

Barry Fineberg.