[Campaignforrealdemocracy] southgate & beyond, report

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:25:09 BST 2009

Following my previous mail / report (see below) this is just a quick follow
on update

About Sept meetings:

(1) Francis and myself met with David Byrne at the College last week and we
agreed to start meetings this Sept. The 21st Century Network is a movement
which aims to open up public space for proper discourse on the burning
issues of the day. So far, 21CN has been a central London-wide affair. To
start a local 21CN group in Soutgate will be the next step in the evolution
of the project, which is great news! You can find out more about 21CN by
following the link(s) below. Will be great to connect this work, and the
groundwork the Southgate Community Anchor has already done, to the local
community and students of the College, and others. As outlined below,
proposal is for Tues eve meetings, possibly bi-weekly and alternating
between panel presentation (ie trad 21CN Meet Up structure) and action
/ campaign decision making (ie working in the round, democratically). And to
promote the group using Meetup.com and other new social media but also more
old fashioned means like fliers, newsletter, etc so that everyone gets a
chance to know about us.

(2) I'll be meeting with a teacher at Broomfield School is tomorrow. She has
already expressed  an interest in the 21CN project, aswell as a joined up
community project for Southgate which goes beyond discourse. I am going to
suggest a "reclaim Sunday" project as hook; ie what do students and teachers
think abot the idea of reclaiming the trad day for community? And how would
they like to do it? And then ask for suggestions, and also offer some of the
suggestions so far made (by the Southgate Community Anchor group, Project
2012, and others..). In the latter regard I am particularly indebted to
Sally Wood of the (Alexandra) People's Palace Project and V Involved for her
flagging this site which I think it would be great to emulate, for
N14 people & place http://www.harringayonline.com/

(3) I hope to be visiting other local schools soon too.

Comments very welcome!

(4) for those new to the Southgate project, pls see blog and Southgate
Phoenix newsletter at www.greenpeasouthgate.blogspot.com

More later but in meantime, pls read on for a full update. And keep August
15th in diary for picnic on Hampstead Heath!

Mark

--
"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”