[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Local Sov Fwd: [diggers350] Haringey Independence Day: Community DIY for the Credit Crunch - Saturday 30th May

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon May 25 16:54:01 BST 2009

Haringey Independence Day: Community DIY for the Credit Crunch

Saturday 30th May, 12 noon to 6pm (with kids activities from 10.15am)

West Green Learning Centre, West Green Road, N15

 The recession might be making life more difficult for many of us, but
campaign and community groups in Haringey are looking at alternative
ways of organising and making real changes to improve our lives.

Haringey Independence Day brings these groups together for a day of
discussions, workshops, stalls and films. It's a day of independence
from party politics (not an expense claim in sight), religion and
government, where individuals and groups in Haringey can exchange
ideas, get inspired and make our own plans for a summer of radical
recession-busting and resistance. A wide variety of groups will be
participating, including Haringey Solidarity Group, Sustainable
Haringey, Naturewise, Haringey Federation of Residents’ Associations,
Haringey Cycling Campaign and Haringey Independent Cinema.

>From growing your own food and cycling, to looking at radical
solutions to redundancies and repossessions, the day includes a whole
range of activities for all ages. There’s a Dr Bike session and a
‘Give or Take’ community recycling event. Film showings throughout the
day include Post Code Wars followed by a discussion by the pupils from
Park View Academy who made it, and there’s a special guest performance
from poet and songwriter John Hegley, organised by the Kids Collective
Arts group.

 Local resident Marlene Barrett, one of the people involved in
organising the day, said: "Last year’s Haringey Independence Day was a
huge success, with over 250 people taking part, and we hope this
year’s will be even bigger and better. There’s something for everyone
- an opportunity to share news, views, ideas and experiences, to find
out what’s going on, to get inspired, to get involved or maybe to
start something new."

 Another local resident and organiser, Tony Wood, said: “We want to
find ways to support each other, without relying on banks and other
institutions who just prey on us for profit.”

 NOTES:

1. Full details of workshops and stalls at
http://www.haringey.org.uk/independenceday

2. This free event is organised by individuals and supported by
Haringey Independent Cinema, Radical History Network, Haringey
Solidarity Group and Haringey Justice for Palestinians.

3. The venue is West Green Learning Centre, Park View Academy, West
Green Road, N15 3RB. The building is fully wheelchair accessible.

4. Kids are welcome (with children's films from 10.15am to noon) and
there’s a free crèche.
 "We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is
there no man speaketh as we speak in the street.”