[Campaignforrealdemocracy] CRD update from southwark and lewisham

James Holland james at dogmanet.org
Wed Oct 21 14:52:26 BST 2009

since my last update i've attended a few local forum/assembly events, a few
other things and been doing some thinking.

these existing structures are actually surprisingly fruitful but the there a
few things they need to start on the journey towards democracy

1) more people involved (especially young people)
2) more regular meetings including sub groups on different issues
3) ability to discuss 'big issues' that they may not currently have much
influence over (but that which they might find a way to influence)
4) geographical sub areas - council wards are still WAY bigger than a
community - Telegraph hill is a classic example, the honour oak estate end
is so different / distant from the leafy telegraph hill proper part.
5) they are almost totally focussed on giving money to discrete projects
that ask for it, the ones i've been to are more like board meetings of a
grant making trust, listening to pitches from charities for project
funding.  i think it's key that they start to decide to DO things
themselves, possibly using their budgets to do them. but even better do
things that don't need any money at all 'we will spend next saturday
clearing a patch of waste ground' 'each of us will knock on the door of
someone locally who we know can't get out of the house and ask if we can
help them' etc

also, on personal level, creating real democracy can't just be about
building intellectually satisfying democratic structures - it has to be
about getting your hands dirty in the community, getting to know people and
making a contribution, and in fact its a community spirit that is more
important than the exact detail of the structures that govern it.

-

--

James Holland