[Campaignforrealdemocracy] crd strategy

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:37:56 GMT 2009

Having met with local colleagues yesterday, I want to draw together some of
what has emerged from picnics, meetings and discussions on lists and
elsewhere. Do people agree with the tenor of this? If so, I will draw up
a brief leaflet including these  points for distribution.

The short/medium term aims of CRD are to :

(1) link different individuals and groups working at the local level around
the concept of real democracy
(2) promote real democracy as equality via horizontal, inclusive
consensus-decision making, in groups & starting at the neighbourhood level
(3) encourage groups to connect for an alternative, democratic society
locally, nationally and internationally

The strategy (so far identified) to make this happen is  to offer advice /
support / encouragement / materials to individuals and groups to start CRD
cells in local boroughs, wards, neighbourhoods (here and ideally
also abroad).

Presumably by:

(1) connecting with like-minds in local area, whether by advertising for a
new group or via already organised groups such as Transition Towns, NO2ID,
LA21, Community Development Network, Housing Co-ops,
Residents/Tenants Associations, anti-tescos campaigns or other
(2) focusing on council run meetings operating at the smallest (ie ward or,
as in my case three ward) level and developing the group as a strategic
challenge to the non-democratic structure of the council run meetings
(3) local independent meetings as CRD/ CRD aligned groups
(4) considering in the medium term the possibility of decentralised
simultaneous actions - eg militant picnics at town halls - to raise
awareness, recruit and get positive media coverage..

And at the London/wider level we also have the possibilities of :

(1) taking up the offer of a regular monthly CRD slot at the Peace not War
sessions at Dalston's Passing Clouds, as a way of sharing info, spreading
campaign literature and connecting with the wider public
(2) developing regular CRD meetings and strategic partnerships (with members
of the 21st Century Network (www.meetup.com/21stcenturynetwork see for
example meeting on Dec 2nd ), the Community Sector Coalition
http://www.communitysectorcoalition.org.uk/ Peace not War www.peace.fm and
possibly others such as NCIA, Transition Towns, Climate Camp and others.
(3) using the web / live streaming / other tech possibilities for meetings
(4) more picnics!
(5) connecting with other groups nationally and internationally on line to
see if they would like to join forces under the same banner

What do people think? good, bad, indifferent? are people up for doing it /
getting involved? any other ideas?

Mark