[Campaignforrealdemocracy] CSC & CRD

Chris Kennett chriskennett01 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 10 19:40:57 BST 2009

Hi All

Just wanted to ask if any of the groups/individuals on this list would like to give a presentation at the www.festivaloflife.net on the 26th of september in C london.

cheers

chris

From: Matt at communitysectorcoalition.org.uk
To: marknbarrett at googlemail.com; campaignforrealdemocracy at lists.aktivix.org; project2012 at googlegroups.com; 21st-century-network at googlegroups.com; peopleincommon at lists.riseup.net
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:21:08 +0100
Subject: Re: [Campaignforrealdemocracy] CSC & CRD

Thanks Mark

Would be great to be part of the Meet Up
as a CSC (Community Sector Coalition) thing

Just to explain a bit more about where I
am coming from – the attached doc you sent covers this but to simplify
and update it, I cross quite a few groupings – as director of the
National Coalition for Independent Action – where we believe dissent
protects democracy; as founder / organizer of the London Community Development
Network – some 300 activists and workers; and my day job as director of
the Community Sector Coalition, which has a wider membership of 70,000 groups
from 25 national orgs

My concern is:

     challenge and change the culture of the voluntary / community sector; i.e.
     that bit of society that is not the state or market.
 The
     bulk of the voluntary / community sector is a small group with little or
     no money but you’d never guess from how it is talked about by both
     government and related opinion formers who can only appeal for the sector
     to modernize, run cheaper formerly state services, help out with community
     cohesion etc etc.
     am keen to look at how the bulk of the sector – small community
     groups are actually about a deeper democratic practice, beyond the ballot
     box, and that organizes, educates, at times agitates,
 The
     potential for the community sector / informal parts of civil society is to
     be leading in the setting a progressive agenda and not be seen as a poor
     relation of the state and more corporate parts of the voluntary
     sector.
 Because
     I’ve worked in the sector for 20 odd years I know what I mean about
     all of this but for many activists and progressively / radically minded
     people I think the community sector is often a bit unknown and not seen as
     the resource that it could be for social change – so making the
     connections amongst ourselves is key and I’m always keen to discuss
     with people – see some recent presentations I’ve done for a flavour

Matt

Matthew Scott

CSC Director

020 7336 9461

Work mobile: 07827 258411

Website:
www.communitysectorcoalition.org.uk

This message is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and
all attachments from your system.