[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Yesterday's PA Meeting

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 15 18:31:13 UTC 2010

I'm sure fuller minutes will be forthcoming, but as this info relates
directly to tomorrow and next week's PA here are notes on *some* of what was
agreed at yesterday's Westminster Peoples Assembly, including action
points, and to give notice of coming meetings.

It was agreed:
**
1) *OCT DEMOCRACY RALLY* to hold a trafalgar square rally in october around
the theme of democracy, using symbol of blank placard / banner. rally to be
linked to forthcoming actions against party conference and campaign against
cuts in solidarity with a world to win, the right to work campaign and other
libertarian oriented groups. demo to bring in broad range of speakers on
subject of democracy, freedom to protest and assemble and other campaigning
issues relating to democracy. Simon to continue researching rules in T
square and to consider which freedom to protest and pro-democracy groups to
invite. Mark to report further on anti-cuts coalition building.

2) To hold further discussion on rally at tomorrow's DV PA planning and big
"Peoples Assembly" banner making meeting tomorrow Monday August 16th from
5pm - 8pm  at the London Action Resource Centre 62 Fieldgate Street,
Whitechapel, E1 1ES www.londonarc.org *ALL WELCOME :-) *
*ACTION POINT: *can Camilla/Chris or someone else bring or arrange banner
making material?

3) *Next Saturday 1pm, join us for an important Peoples Assembly in Victoria
Tower Gardens, Westminster.* Topic for discussion is all about democracy,
and planning the oct demo. For this meeting we are looking for individuals
from different democracy campaigns to give presentations on their campaign
issue and we hope help us build the campaign together.  *ACTION POINT:* pls
can people recommend democracy campaign people for us to invite, or better
still invite them yourselves to the PA on Sat, details for cut and paste
here:

*Peoples Assembly on the Future of Democracy*  - *Speakers Welcome*
1pm Saturday August 21st
Victoria Tower Gardens - Westminster
Westminster / St James Park Tube
Map ref:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=242875860457998317&q=victoria+tower+gardens&gl=uk
Please bring food to share (unless you're fasting)

4) To ensure the walls around westminster green come down soon and support
the ongoing pavement protesters. There is now a permanent team of
professional private corporation squatters on the green in the square and
there is a double lined fence in place. However, some of the homeless folk
who helped to hold the square in its three month occupation have formed
their own camp, and a number of activists have also valiantly stayed in
place. See eg, latest article from Friday's Standard:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23866301-we-cant-move-commons-protesters-without-a-new-law-says-council.do

*ACTION POINT:* What about a People's Plan for the redevelopment of the
square - surely we can do it cheaper and nicer than them??

5) by next saturday i hope to have made proper phone contact with sena
alouka in togo who has expressed a desire to set up the second democracy
village outside the togo parliament with activists from west africa. sena's
group is http://www.ong-jve.org/
so far in email discussion we have expressed warm solidarity towards one
another, and he's requested our support - so we may need to think of doing a
fundraiser.. ;-)

6) i have also heard report of a democracy village being set up outside an
MPs house somewhere in the uk - did anyone else come across that news ?

OK, that's all for now

Love

Mark