[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Sat 11th Anti-Cuts Planning Meeting

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 9 07:41:30 UTC 2010

  Hi Everyone

Just to remind that this Saturday 11th Dec from 1pm-5pm there will be
a public meeting on Building a Peoples Assembly Movement in Room MAL417 at
Birkbeck College. Since the original call out, we are witnessing a rising
tide of activism, so this will be a great opportunity to
consider the politics of PAs, as well as how to
support the movement so it becomes a genuine and lasting liberation.

A draft agenda is set out below, and all the other info for Saturday is on
the website http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/
and it is not necessary to register for this event.

We hope to see you there and please forward this invitation to others within
your network...!

In solidarity

Mark

 *Info / Draft Agenda for Saturday Dec 11th*

Independent call outs and supportive messages from around the
world are showing us that PAs and the desire for a new politics operating
locally, nationally and globally under one banner, has a wide appeal. That
said, different groups and people have views about what People's Assemblies
are/could be and the role they might play in the anti-cuts struggle.

Therefore, it is proposed that the first part of the meeting should
involve the expression of different ideas on People's Assemblies. All those
participating on the day will have equal time to put their point of view. A
facilitator chosen by consensus on the day will ensure transparency. The aim
of this will not be to impose a particular point or reach a synthesis, but
to bring out the different aspects of the People's Assemblies idea. These
will be noted and reported back via the website and email.

It is proposed that the second part of the day should involve a discussion
of how to bring about a liberating PA movement. This will presumably
involve discussing and planning actions for 2011 to put into practice the
ideas and views that emerge. Again, there should be no attempt to impose one
type of action. Instead, we should aim to reach agreement through consensus
on initiatives that can take forward the concept and shared politics of
People's Assemblies. Plans might include making full use of the People's
Assemblies <http://peoplesassemblies.org/> website, social networking,
developing international solidarity and further developing a vision capable
of bringing on board a full range of groups both here in the UK and in other
parts of the world.

In light of resurgent student activism in the UK, it is proposed
that our politics and action planning should relate directly to the
students' ongoing struggle and other anti-cuts events and days of action.

We look forward to seeing you there!

*11 December 1-5pm*

Room MAL417
Birkbeck College