[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [Dem-Village] we the people + Athenian democracy

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:47:06 UTC 2010

Hi James

Great to see this research work going on. One of the decisions last Saturday
at the PA Movement Building meeting was to start a "PA politics and
economics" working group to develop ideas together. Maybe you could post the
stuff on the Wiki page we've set up as a bit of historical background to
inform the development of our draft principles ? Let me know what you think
- would be great to have you in the team. Also everyone else welcome to put
forward  their interest in this, or any of the other working groups coming
out of last Saturday's meeting. Minutes to follow, and here are a list of
tsome of the PA working groups (all are welcome to join any of them) set up
and to some extent already operating so far:

(1) PA Politics and Economics (developing hallmarks, guidelines, principles
of PAs and putting them out for endorsement to other groups)

(2) PA Website (developing www.peoplesassemblies.org into a fab resource
showing PAs going on all over the world, continent and UK. Listed by
politics, themes, links to actions. And to work colloboratively to develop
their politics. And to publicise direct actions and future PA movement
building events. And to host forums. And to improve comms across
different PAs. Etc etc.)

(3)  PA Dual Power (see below)
Operation Dual Power
Callout for
Working Group on Building People’s Assemblies
Meeting to launch Operation Dual Power
Sat Jan 8/Sun Jan 9, 3 to 6 p.m. both days, prompt start please
St Martin’s Community Centre, 43 Carol St NW1 0HT
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=NW1%200HT
close to Camden Town tube, hot drinks and food available

The TUC are calling a huge march for Sat March 26,
March for the Alternative
http://www.tuc.org.uk/theme/index.cfm?theme=alltogether
But what is the alternative?
We doubt the TUC bureaucrats have much idea, but the people who have been in
direct action on the streets at Millbank, in Vodaphone and Topshop, in uni
and college occupations, against tuition fee rises and the EMA cuts, and
local government cuts at Town Halls across the country – they have the right
idea!
We need to seize the spaces where people can gather into direct democracy
decision-making bodies – People’s Assemblies. We need to challenge the
legitimacy of this feeble and hated Con-Dem government by establishing
alternative sovereignty in as many key locations as possible.
We think by March 26, with the galvanic student movement, and the looming
Eurozone crisis, a strong majority of rank-and-file trade unionists will NOT
be satisfied by a march from A to B, or footprints going round in circles,
as the TUC march logo has it!
We propose a map of direct action targets for March 26 (media, education,
local and national govt buildings, bank branches, courts, police stations,
libraries) to be seized and occupied as seats of the sovereign populace,
including any places, space or agencies that should be held accountable to
their local communities. We, the people, should be making the decisions
about how to share our commonwealth.
Email contact: Meltdown2017 at gmail.com
This is a working group of peoplesassemblies.org

(4) PA facilitation skills (training etc) - still being worked out

(5) Some others but I need to go back to the Minutes but I can't now as am
at work!
(6) Here's some Feedback on Dec 11: