[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Building Democracy Village | Important !!!

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sun May 9 18:39:31 UTC 2010

A decision was made yesterday at the Camp to hold public / camp
planning meetings every day at 12 noon and then again at 7pm. I think
it is vital that the comments below taken from Amelia's magazine are
taken on board, and QUICKLY if we are to build camp before any kind of
proper administration is set up in Downing Street. DV need sto make a
clear statement about what Democracy Village is about - and quick or
the trick will be missed. It is NOT simply about Afganistan, that is
the work of Peace Strike and Parliament Square Peace Campaign PSPC and
DV should not be in any way merely a hippy extension of their
projects; that serves neither them nor the cause of Meltdown, the
Campaign for Real Democracy or Project 2012 which is (if i may
conflate the three)  a democratic, decentralised 'village' revolution
via self-organised Peoples Assemlbies throughout the country between
now and 2012. And from there it is but a short step to the alll
important issue in Amelia's blog about connecting agenda of Climate
Camp (direct action / consensus decision making) and Transition Towns
(decentralisation and new social relationships) as the means to heal
our relationship with the environment.

Can someone please take it upon themselves to get that message lopud
and clear out of the camp? Surely many would follow if we got the
messaging right (as I said, see below)

Unfortunately I think at present the camp is being dragged into the
long term Peace Strike / PSPC issues, putting quite unecessary
stresses on both of those groupings while at the same time losing
sight of its distinct agenda. There is absolutely no reason why they
can't and shouldn't co-exist but why mix the messages and muddy the
waters?

We need a clear, revolutionary and inclusive presence in the square
and we don't have that at the moment. Telling other groups they are
not radical enough, which is effectively what I saw happened yesterday
with the outreach attempts to the Take Back Parliament grouping, will
not help. Nor will the toleration of people coming in, drinking and
abusing (ie taking stuff meant for campers) from the kitchen, set up
by Maria which will only add to the stresses.

Sorry to be negative but the camp has enormous potential and a window
of opportunity to build it and inspire others with A CLEAR POLITICS
will not last for ever.

I may go down on Weds for the 7pm session - is there anyone else out
there from CRD / Project 2012 / EM or CfCA up for meeting @ 7pm that
eve, and getting the politics clearer that evening? I would be happy
to go if i knew a few others of like mind could do the same and we can
get a statement together with the consent of the camp.

Mark

Igor says:
May 9, 2010 at 3:12 am

Well, Amelia, one cannot do everything but if some grouping that has
the capabilities to do outreach (climate camp London perhaps) were to
come along to the Democracy village and do it, I for one would be
delighted.

Amelia says:
May 9, 2010 at 6:53 am

Hi Igor, thanks for the message – this post was written by Amelia
Wells, who to my knowledge has never been involved in Climate Camp.
Personally I wish I had the time for everything, but I don’t. My own
thoughts? Even though I think what you are doing is very commendable,
I think that the messaging of the Democracy Village is unclear. I
think there is too much focus on the war (clearly pissing Brian Haw
off big time) and not enough emphasis on clear alternative democratic
ideals. Plus there is no mention of climate change, which (although I
know most of you care about this too) would be a clear reason why more
people from Climate Camp have not come down, Amelia x

Taken from article @
http://www.ameliasmagazine.com/earth/theres-the-general-election-and-then-theres-democracy-village-in-parliament-square/2010/05/07

And from capitalist press: On Parliament Square, overlooked by Lloyd
George, the last Liberal to lead a coalition as prime minister, a
group of extreme environmental squatters have set up a tented village.
I am shown around by a sweet boy whom we’ll call David.

He takes me proudly to the new straw-bale lavatory (no solids) for
men: “When the straw is full, we’ll take it to St James’s Park and
spread it on the flowers. We haven’t got one for women yet.”

Another lad, whom we’ll call Nick, smells worse than the straw. “We’re
in a peaceful rebellion,” says David. “We want to set up a new nation
without money.”

Opposite him the great phoney gothic pile of the Palace of Westminster
stands blank and pompous and empty.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7120771.ece