[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Assembly Strategy Suggestion **

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 26 17:38:04 UTC 2010

 Dear Companer at s, Comrades and Friends

Just to be clear, on the questions of:

==  NCAC vs EAN
== unity vs non-dilution of purpose
== what constitutes a General / People's Assembly
== how to have a degree of co-ordination while also remaining genuinely
democratic; and
== what's next after 30th Nov and any other days of action that might arise
in the coming weeks / months / year

I am proposing the following for discussion / reflection / whatever :

(1) A good form of future organisation might be regular, cross-country *and
sychronised* General Assemblies ie taking part simultaneously on Sundays or
whatever day works for students and others in society, starting in campuses
across the country, and at each one attenders can obviously democratically
decide on collective actions.

(2) Ideally each Assembly should invite, welcome and including others (as I
witnessed was the case at the EAN meeting last Saturday) from across the
anti-cuts movement, to come and share info from their struggles and to
learn more about the key struggles within education. And from there to work
out future collective actions together, and follow on synchronised
Assemblies. So that over time we can all go forward, building a
recogniablemovement based on the power of the Assembly, and militant,
imaginitive actions which unite students and the wider society, creating new
social and egalitarian power relations in Assemblies, aswell as in the
actions themselves.

(3) To defeat the cuts, but also for a new, post-capitalist society -  with
the foundations ie proto - Governing Assemblies being planted in the heart
of the education system, at universities and then later by extension in
secondary and even primary schools. And, to build a recognisable
emancipation movement I'd suggest that not only the meetings, but *also at
least some of the main, repeating actions should also take place across the
country on the same day,* so there is a recognisable roll out of assembly
(decision making body meeting) and then national and hopefully over time
even international days of action that are synchronised under one broadly
united political banner.

(4) My earlier suggestion is that we might move towards Fridays as a day of
action, primarily so that perhaps we can later connect it to a union general
strike, and also the RMT call for a 3 day weekend. And why not for this
reason also on the Muslim holy day if Christianity and Judaism have a day
off, why not Islam too? And of course all the holy days of al the religions
throughout the year. We have to make the 2 day holiday for the royal wedding
look like what it is - pathetic! *

(5) If we were to call people to Town Halls, rather than march from A to B
we can draw in community activists aswell as all the others affected by the
cuts, and shut down the state for a day by occuying them (say all 32 in
London to start with..).

(6) This would also have the added advantage of showing "we" mean business
about taking hold of the reins of power, "we" being the people: students,
workers, artists, basically everyone from the left and below who will
[Insh'Al-Lah] become sovereign..

Have a great weekend everyone :-)

Mark
*Likewise 2012, which is due to be the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, when the
original meaning of the word "jubilee" was the freeing of the debt slaves ie
debt cancellation to liberate the people ("jobel", in Hebrew, meaning
release).

** Would this plan (or something similar, and in its spirit, decided
collectively) not be a good way of building a democratic but unified
movement to defeat the cuts but also to ensure a far wider emancipation at
the same time, all being done, organically and genuinley democratically,
from below..  ?