[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Building PAs

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 21 09:21:34 UTC 2010

>> would going door to door, explaing the concept of a people's assembly in
> order the encourage people to start one themselves be good idea?

Definitely worth trying this to see how people respond to the idea,
but I am not sure how far you'll get with most members of the public.
That said, it's worth a try in the current climate, and would be good
to test the temp. We were discussing this very point last night in
Whitehall. If there are enough people already in an area willing to
work together I think it makes a lot of sense to call PAs I promote
one with a day and a time and a place. Personally I think people
should go ahead and so whatever floats their boat with Peoples
Assemblies. So, some of us are organising the event on Dec11th (see
www.peoplesassemblies.org) at which we hope to gain a groundswell of
support for eg doing some high profile "militant PA actions" in the
new year, and or other ways in which PAs can be set up and supported
in key areas and to hopefully help spark more of  them. Maybe you
could take some fliers for this and also the excellent A World to Win
flier on PAs (ask and we can get some to you) if you do go door to
door.

In the meantime and in parallel we want to support people in whatever
way they feel comfortable to get PAs started. One problem we might
face is that people will not automatically get the idea of taking
power for ourselves, some will come to that more slowly only as and
when a recognisable movement comes into being. That said, there are
always libertarian, anarchist, people power types in every community
so if you can find them, you may find the work you're suggesting less
lonely and thankless...

On 21 October 2010 10:07, Ben Warner <bennydafish at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> would going door to door, explaing the concept of a people's assembly in
> order the encourage people to start one themselves be good idea?
>
> --

"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is
there no man speaketh as we speak in the street.”