[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Oct 9th Global Wave Fwd: Chat with Mo

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 23 20:41:48 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone

I just posted an invitation to the rally to some student networks i'm on and
i got this very interesting reply (see below chat) from Mo, an international
student comrade. Here is a really exciting possibility for us to connect in
with an attempt to generalise and internationalise resistance.

Pls can those attending this saturday's PA (everyone possible to come pls,
as we really need to get our act together as there is just two weeks until
the rally..!) consider the ideas below. This Sat, Peoples Assembly 1pm
Victoria Tower Gardens Westminster

Two immediate things for the agenda: (1) would we like to accept ism's offer
of being part of the global wave and (2) can we endose the statement they've
developed. So can everyone read the chat and their website plus the
statement they've made, aswell as all the info on the global wave so that,
on Saturday we can discuss this properly.

See also at their website for a great, potentially unifying symbol..!!

Cheers

Mark

 21:02 Mo: hey Mark.. I just received your mail on the Democracy Rally.
Could this maybe be somehow linked to the "Global Wave"?
21:03 me: Hi Mo What's the Global Wave!?
 Mo: cos it will begin with a huge day of action in the U.S.A. on Oct.7th,
continue with a day of action in Italy on Oct.8th.. and could feat. this
event in the UK on Oct.9th
 me: Yes that would be great !
21:04 Mo: it will unite groups fighting for free education around the world
and mainly consists of three elements: 1st the international "joint
statment"
  2nd: the "united symbol"
  3rd: communication/coordination on the international level
 me: Ah yes
 Mo: pretty simple. that's all.
21:05 me: I see your mail on it from earler
  earlier
  Are these things worked out yet - the statement, symbol and international
comms?
 Mo: so if you could display the logo somewhere during the event.. on a
banner or something.. take picture of it.. and write a short report on the
whole thing.. then that would be perfect.
  yep.. all ready
 me: We have been discussin symbols a lot here
21:06 Do you have a quick link?
 Mo: sure.. statement:
http://emancipating-education-for-all.org/joint_statement_2010
  symbol: http://emancipating-education-for-all.org/united_symbol
21:07 and for communication basically the infrastructure of the ISM will be
used.
 me: what's also needed is for the students in uk to come along to our
rally, ideally in support of the wave -
  can we manage that?
 Mo: hm.. who are you in touch with in the UK for that?
 me: to adverstise it to the networks from both ends?
21:08 Mo: sure.. the ISM can be used for that.
 me: students are starting back in london this week and next ..
  perfect
  !
 Mo: I am in touch with the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts
  they are mostly focussing on a demo on Nov.10th
  as far as I know
21:09 but all the events and protests will be listed on the website.. so all
the details will be published there. + an additional mail on this can be
send to the ISM mailing list.
21:11 me: well we are wanting our rally to be an education, on lots of
different issues aswell as horizontal decision making. i imagine my comrades
would be very happy to link to the global wave and make bridges between
campus resistance and the other communities standing up for their rights
21:12 Mo: yes.. and personally I see education with the other issues very
much linked with each other.
21:13 I mean... horizontal decision making is part of an emancipation
process... so it is part of education
 me: am i on the ism email list? i don't think i am - only the facebook mail
list
  yes, agreed about the horizontal / emancipatory / education links.
 Mo: the "global wave" is not just about defend access to education, but
also defining and creating it for ourself.
21:14 let me check
21:15 no, you are not. do you want me to add you?
21:16 me: yes please do
21:18 Mo: ok.. done.
  well.. do let me know once the Democracy Rally can be announced as part of
the "Global Wave".
21:19 And it would be great, if at least one group calling for the rally
also endorses the international "joint statement".
 me: ok, will do. we make decisions on saturdays
 Mo: but of course that his just optional
  *is
21:21 there will also be an international chat meeting on sunday. so if you
decide to link the rally with the "global wave"... then you might also be
interested to participate in the chat meeting.
21:22 me: and i will also ask the group (we are called democracy village and
we are just now planning a rally and to reoccupy parliament square see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/sep/15/democracy-village-what-happened-next)
to endorse the statement aswell as welcome yr invitation to be the uk leg of
the wave. btw i a also in touch with imf resist in the usa. do you want me
to hook you up to them too?
  and yes, i would like to participate in the chat, as would others in the
group i imagine!
21:23 Mo: hehe.. I am also in touch with the IMF Resistance people and they
already decided to endorse the statement ;)
  but thanks :)
 me: there is also the international day of action called for october 12th
  for climate justice
  do you know about that?
 Mo: I heard about it.. but don't have any details.
21:24 me: http://www.climate-justice-action.org/
 Mo: do you see a way to link the "global wave" and the climate justice
actions?
 me: maybe..
21:25 Mo: hmm.. well.. this can also be discussed during the chat meeting on
sunday.
 me: i will ask the international list what actions are planned. if you send
me an email with some info i could as the groups to consider
 Mo: so if you are in touch with activists who are involved.. then maybe you
can invite them to the chat?!
 me: yes
  pls send me a brief mail on this as a way of introduction?
21:26 Mo: ok.. I'll do that.
 me: mo i have to rush off now
 Mo: yep. alright.. was good to get in touch again :)
 me: also tho, some of us are also developing a statement about democracy
which would be good to run past you maybe your networks will be able to
endorse too
21:27 will get back in touch again soon
  yes - great to reconnect!
  :-)
 Mo: yes.. that's all part of the idea we had :)
  oki.. take care ~