[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Peoples Assemblies Update

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:22:04 UTC 2011

 Happy New Year Everyone !

Here is a brief report of what has happened since the Liberation Beyond
Resistance meeting on December 11th, and what's coming up next...

*(1) Website*: Full notes of Dec11, including international messages of
support have now been posted at http://www.peoplesassemblies.org Also, after
some good discussions the Website Working Group are working hard to make
Peoplesassembly.org a useful, interactive 'everything about PAs' resource in
the near future. If you'd like to be involved in this please let us know.

*(2) Upcoming Events:*

*Operation Dual Power: Working Group on Building People's Assemblies Meeting
*
Sat Jan 8/Sun Jan 9, 3 to 6 p.m. both days, prompt start please
St Martin's Community Centre, 43 Carol St NW1 0HT
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=NW1%200HT close to Camden Town tube, hot
drinks and food available.
Full info at http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2011/01/471515.html

*Teach-in: Beyond Resistance - The economic crisis, democracy and building*
People's Assemblies. Sat Jan 15, 1.30pm-5.30pm, Room 416, Birkbeck College,
Malet Street, WC1E 7HX. Russell Square/Goodge St/ Warren Street tubes.
Register at: http://aworldtowin.net/about/eventPA15Jan2011.html

*(3) Politics and Economics Working Group*
Without being too prescriptive, we want to develop some useful political and
economic principles around which PAs might want to cohere. After email
discussions, a collaborative workspace to which all are invited to
contribute has been set up at http://www.peoplesassemblies.wikispaces.com/

Also, we will be meeting tomorrow (Thurs 6th Jan) in London - all welcome!
7pm in the Lucas Arms (on the Grays Inn Road, opposite the NUJ building,
near Kings Cross station)

*(4) Looking ahead: *
Jan 30: National Student/General Assembly, London venue tbc.
Feb 11-14 'A New Europe' Conference including (Sunday) General Assembly,
Paris
http://www.edu-factory.org/wp/for-a-new-europe-university-struggles-against-austerity/for
more info email
info at edu-factory.org,

*(5) Setting up PAs Working Group*
Following Dec11th individuals have contacted us to say they are setting up
PAs in their local area. More info on this in due course but in the
meantime, if you are working on setting one up yourself, please email
info at peoplesassemblies.org so we can help publicise.

*(6) Public Mailing List *
In addition to the Dec11th registration list a low traffic public mailing
list has also been set up at
https://groups.google.com/group/peoplesassemblies?hl=en

Ok, that's all for now. We hope you had a good break, and look forward to
working with you in the course of what promises to be an exciting 2011.

Build Peoples Assemblies :-) !

Corinna and Mark