[Campaignforrealdemocracy] London | PLEASE READ & FORWARD

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 28 20:21:40 UTC 2011

Dear Everyone

I hope you are all ok.

We urgently need to promote these two coming London meetings (both open to
all, and not just Londoners):

(1) This Sat 2nd April 3pm-6pm @ UCL - Anti-Cuts Assembly
See full info below and / or @
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=210282135649223
There are also now calls to occupy Trafalgar Square, which need support.

(2) Next Sat 9th April 1pm - 5pm @ Birkbeck - People's Assemblies Network
Meeting
See attached flier/  register support via info at peoplesassemblies.org  and /
or
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=201209476570251

Mark

PS has anyone else noticed that TUC spelled backwards is "CUT" ?

*Sat 2nd April @ UCL
Anti-Cuts Assembly *

The March 26th national demonstration will see a up to a million people on
the streets of London. We are entering a new stage of resistance to cuts and
austerity.

Following it, it is vital that all forces who are serious about fighting
cuts and austerity come together to reflect on events and organise the next
stage of the movement. March 26th is the beginning, not the end.
This is an open mass meeting: although called originally by NCAFC, it should
be viewed as the property of all anti-cuts networks, organisations and
individuals. Email againstfeesandcuts at gmail.com and ec.officer at ucl.ac.uk to
add your support to the meeting.

Agenda items will be posted on the FB page as issues arise following the
demonstration. Email ec.officer at ucl.ac.uk to add items.

Meeting sponsors: National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts, Right to Work,
Education Activist Network, Coalition of Resistance. But open to all! Add
your campaign's name to this list by contacting ec.officer at ucl.ac.uk

INVITATION TO LONDON ANTI-CUTS GROUPS

Where next after 26 March? An invitation to all London anti-cuts groups for
an afternoon of discussion and planning

Dear friends,

The TUC demonstration this Saturday is set to be an electric day of mass
protest. It will be the culmination of an enormous amount of work grassroots
activists, in workplaces, trade unions and the local communities, have put
in to building mass resistance to the cuts.

As the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts we are proud of the role we
played in building the huge student protests. But we were always very aware
that we could not win alone and a broader more encompassing movement was
needed to beat the Con-Dems.

In the months since, students have worked closely with you in building
protests against the local government cuts - occupying a number of Town
Halls, drawing thousands into demonstrations and marches and forging deeper
roots into our local communities.

Now we need to look forward to the next steps. 26 March was a huge
demonstration. But the danger is that it may be treated as the end point and
not the beginning of the mass campaign by the official TUC leadership. We
therefore think that it's important for grassroots activists - from
community groups, national campaigns like the Coalition of Resistance, Right
to Work and the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts, and, crucially, the
local anti-cuts movement - to all come together after the demo.

We have booked a space at UCL for a mass open meeting on the 2 April between
3 - 6pm to faciliate this process. Although called by the National Campaign
Against Fees and Cuts we would like it to be the property of the entire
anti-cuts movement.

We propose two simple agenda items:

i. An assessments of the 26 March
ii. Future plans and actions

We need a serious political discussion about 'where next'. Yet, we also
don't want to organise a rally and have no plans for any top table speakers,
etc, but rather want to use the space to develop a concrete plan of action.
We hope your anti-cuts groups will be able to attend and bring ideas and
proposals on further actions we might take. If you would like to add any
other items to the agenda, or have any questions, please do get in touch.
That way we can open a dialogue on how we organise the day.

Best wishes

Luke Cooper, National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts
Michael Chessum, Education Officer, UCL, NCAFC
Sean Rillo Raczka, Vice President elect, ULU, NCAFC