[Campaignforrealdemocracy] #SpanishRevolution comes to Greece: #M25Gr = #GreekRevolution

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 11:04:09 UTC 2011

 new article, be great if you can pass on...

#SpanishRevolution comes to Greece: #M25Gr =
#GreekRevolution<http://www.indymedia.ie/article/99876>

Yesterday was a beautiful beautiful day and a very very important one. 10
days after the "Spanish Revolution" kicked off peacefully all over Spain, it
has been replicated massively in the homeland of Democracy, Greece.
Yesterdat, M25, 20,000 people took to the streets and squares all over
Greece... 7,000 alone and absolutely peaceful in Constitution square in
athens. They have been inspired by Spain and the simple core idea of the
movement; That we have had enough, that we are "indignant", we will not take
it any more, its time to stand up, take to the streets, occupy squares,
create a "true democracy"... and hope that the Spark of peaceful Revoution
spreads all over this little planet...

Follow the #GREEKREVOLUTION as it unfolds and spreads...

Real democracy Greece - http://real-democracy.gr/

[image: M25 - #greekrevolution]<http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/may2011/saf.jpg>
M25 - #greekrevolution

*Instaling Democracy 2.0 █████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 10% *

*“Peoples of Europe, Rise Up” *
In many ways this is almost an echo, a year ago the Greeks hung a massive
banner from the Acropolis with a simple message: “Peoples of Europe, Rise
Up”. Over the last year we have seen some responses, In October we saw
massive strikes in France, we saw the students of London rebel against the
harsh cuts being imposed at Christmas and in Spain we saw a general strike
on S29, September 29. But none of this seemed to take off quiet as
powerfully as that which has unfolded here in Spain over the last 10 days.
In recent months we have seen the "Arab Spring", which was a massive
inspiration to the "indignant" in Spain; the idea that it IS POSSIBLE to
mobilise the masses (especially more so now with social networking tools;
facebook, twitter etc...) and to absolutely change things PEACEFULLY. The
movement here in Spain continues to grow and grow, and outside too it has
sparked in a very quick profound way (650 global events around planet 3 days
ago) but this response from Greece is something very very special, because
of the size, because this is all about re-questioning, re-examining,
re-creating the whole idea that came from Greece so many centuries ago;
DEMOCRACY.

We have to remember that Greece has seen massive and very violent protests
for a long time, so there was a fear that yesterdays first day of action
could lead to the normal stand off between riot police and petrol bomb
wielding anarchists, thankfully this did not surface, in fact 1 protestors
message in 1 of the papers is that the government can deal with the
violence, it doesnt threathen them, but this, this massive peaceful action
does, they do not know how exactly to deal with it. So hopefully we will see
these numbers growing, taking to the streets and starting to occupy squares
to set up little free zones to talk, but also to demonstrate what true
democracy looks like; a more direct and participative form as opposed to the
once every four years version we see at present, which has failed us and
left us in this sorry state of affairs.

*S2S - communication is our weapon *
Also last night, the second beautiful moment; When we in the occupied square
of Placa Catalunya in Barcelona, #acampadaBCN (campsite Barcelona) connected
live with the thousands in the square outside the parliament in Athens via
live stream (again how great these new tek tools enable us to connect, even
on this massive scale; S2S : square to square). After the massive cheers of
greetings from each square of defiance and revolution to the other, we had
about 5 or 10 minutes of exchange, giving updates on the situations and
hoped for plans for where we go from here....