[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [politicsandspiritnetwork] +Rowan: The Archbishop of Canterbury Endorses Tax on Bankers

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:42:06 UTC 2011

What is movement's position on Rowan Williams statement/Robin Hood:
the idea of an international taxation regime to help tackle global
poverty while interesting has not been discussed or endorsed by the
General Assemblies and therefore cannot be said to be a demand of the
global movement. While many activists from the movement argue for it,
others point out - aside from the practical difficulty of its
enforcement and the linked question of tax havens - that the idea
raises profound political questions about sovereignty and
representation at the global level. To bring in a global tax you would
presumably need a global state, which is anathema to many in the
global movement. We are still to develop a position on the British
state and its relationship to the cause of real Democracy and assembly
sovereignty, let alone a European or global one!

--
Apathy is Dead !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarider/5254770064/#/photos/solarider/5254770064/lightbox/