[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Fwd: January 22nd Event

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:31:38 UTC 2013

http://socialmovement2013.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/becoming-catalysts-for-a-radical-social-movement-in-2013/

Becoming Catalysts for a Radical Social Movement in
2013<http://socialmovement2013.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/becoming-catalysts-for-a-radical-social-movement-in-2013/>
Posted on January 7,
2013<http://socialmovement2013.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/becoming-catalysts-for-a-radical-social-movement-in-2013/>
<http://socialmovement2013.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/becoming-catalysts-for-a-radical-social-movement-in-2013/#respond>

*Members of IOPS  <http://www.iopsociety.org/>(London chapter), Anti-capitalist
Initiative <http://anticapitalists.org/> and Peoples Assemblies
Network<http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/> are
calling for an assembly to discuss social movement strategy in 2013. The
assembly shall take place from 6.30pm – 8.30pm at SOAS on 22 January 2013.
We hope you will join us!*

London trades billions in currency everyday, and while the amount of these
‘receipts for elites’ have only increased during the worst financial crisis
since the Great Depression, it is the most vulnerable who are made to pay
for it.

2012 has seen environmental degradation continue at an alarming pace,
global inequality on the increase, the university tuition fee hike come
into force, deepening austerity measures, threats to destroy basic labour
protections, the rise of fascism and racism in Europe and continued high
unemployment – felt most acutely by young people in the UK, and
particularly youth from minority ethnic backgrounds.

Government officials, politicians, and capitalists consistently prioritize
profits, growth and accumulation of wealth and power over the legitimate
needs of people, and the creation of a sustainable economy.

1) How can we – as a diverse movement – act together on crucial issues like
austerity and environmental destruction, whilst accommodating healthy
difference?
2) How can we support each other in practical ways consistent with a
positive vision of the world we want?
3) What are your hopes and aspirations for 2013 and what actions do you
think would be effective locally, on the continent and globally?
4) What next?

*To begin to answer these questions and related questions we shall be
holding an assembly on Tuesday 22 January 2012 from 6.30pm to 8.30pm
at SOAS<http://www.soas.ac.uk/>
.*

Please consider responding to the above questions as a comment on this blog.

If you are responding to the questions on-line (and we hope you do!),
please keep your piece as accessible as possible and avoid unnecessary
jargon or obscure references. We hope that the discussion on 22 January
will benefit from comments made on-line and lead to a deeper consideration
of the questions and possible answers.

We hope everyone will participate in the open discussion at the assembly,
regardless of whether you have made a comment in response to the above blog.

*We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday 22 January at 6.30pm.*
 Blog: socialmovement2013.wordpress.com

**
*UK-wide*
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/democracy2015/