[Cc-communications] Comms evaluation

Info @ Gary Austin info at gary-austin.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 13:22:27 BST 2006

Hi All
Comms went on a road trip last week around Drax and did some tests using radios
coverage was good as the area is predominantly flat. Pylons did not cause any significant problems using radios but at times we had some intermittent signal loss on mobiles easily solved by walking a hundred yards
At the rear of Drax and to some of the sides there has been hills created with the waste from Drax signal loss was experienced when trying to communicate over the hill, this is easily solved by having a person on top acting as a relay for messages.
High water content in trees caused signal loss and there are significant woodlands which will limit range but were still usable over a distance of almost 1KM
Obviously we don't know where the location of the camp is going to be so more testing might be needed nearer the time but we don't expect significant problems and for actions there should be few
Gary

PS also did some landscapes of Drax you can view and use as you see fit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radical-images/
and here
http://blog.gary-austin.co.uk/?p=91
with blatant promotion of Climate camp