[Certif-agrofuel] EU workshop sustainability criteria

Nina Holland nina at corporateeurope.org
Fri Mar 7 09:18:33 GMT 2008

Hello,

Here you can find a report of this weeks high profile workshop on sustainability criteria organised by MEP Corbey. The speakers on GHG were good, the ones on biodiversity really bad.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/public/story_page/064-22625-064-03-10-911-20080229STO22603-2008-04-03-2008/default_en.htm

Below you find my own impression of that workshop.

Best, nina

After yesterday's workshop organised by Corbey in the EP, I'm
extremely concerned that we are loosing the social issues debate big
time. It is NOT going one step in the right direction.

The workshop was much bigger than I thought, held in one of the
plenary halls, and with many foreign missions attending such as
Brazil, Colombia, Malaysia (a whole block) and Indonesia. Other MEPs
were there: Claude Turmes, Caroline Lucas (who expressed doubts about
effectiveness of criteria), Pilar Ayuso, Parish, Weisgerber, Blokland.

The expert panel on GHG emission wasn't that bad but biodiversity and
social issues was dramatic. The guy from Proforest who spoke on social
issues did mention a lot of issues as well as the indirect impacts
socially, but basically concluded that criteria couldn't handle those,
but did not put a conclusion to that reality. Social issues came at
the very end.

Basically, this was what happened. A lot of NGOs were there, T&E,
Birdlife, GP Oxfam, FoE, Misereor, etc. Only Ulrike made an
intervention on social issues, talking about slavery, land conflicts,
etc. referring to international conventions.
Then the spokesperson from the Brazilian mission took the word and
called her arrogant and paternalistic 2 times, said how well the
police was executing labour laws etc.
Then the Indonesian embassy spoke saying how the Indonesia biofuel
plan (10% by 2010) will generate 3.5 millino jobs, that Indonesian
NGO's play a part in this, and referring to the 700 conflicts
(probably those mentioned in the FoE report on Indonesia) downplaying
them.
Then the Malaysia government said how they positively contribute to
the RSPO, and how the EU should NOT impose any extra social or
environmental criteria than  those proposed by the EC. That 30% of
palmoil from Malaysai is produced by smallholders and that they will
be affected by these criteria. That they will send more written
comments to Corbey, and how the criteria should not impact
international trade.
Greg Archer from LowCVP advocated again the BSI, the RSPO, RTRS and
urging the ad hoc working group (now called the Mertens group) to not
'reinvent the wheel'.

After that, unfortunately, nobody present counterattacked on the
social issues. It would have been so easy! Me neither but I have to
say a large NGO speaking up at such point would have had a lot more
impacts; but nevertheless I really regret not having tried to get to
speak (maybe i feel i've been doing the same talk too many times).

Lucas and Turmes asked good questions, Weisgerber and Ayuso mainly
protectionist for European farmers, Parish asking the panel if GMOs
would not be a good solution.

*** Corbey's conclusions were dramatic. On social issues she echoed
what the different embassies had said and concluded that there can
also be positive social impacts and agrofuel production can contribute
to 'good living'. That the GHG efficiency of agrofuel production is
much better than in Europe.
That ILO criteria are important and should be applied to all products.
That free and prior informed consent (mentioned by Ulrike and earlier
proposed by Corbey herself) would only be relevant in certain cases
and therefore not good as a general criterion. Most difficult is the
rising food prices, that is a global issue. She asks for more written
input, comments, soon.

Claude Turmes is very skeptical about the impact of agrofuels on
rising food prices, says it's not based on facts. I'll try to write up
some notes on the meeting Monday as well, later. Corbey is more
convinced that agrofuels have or will have a big impact on food
prices. By the time ULrike made her statements, Claude had left the
workshop.

WTO compatibility was again and again mentioned, Greg Archer
maintaining that no social criterion would be WTO compatible.

So all in all, I'm very skeptical about the motivation of both Corbey
(and also doubt Turmes) to insist on a full set of social criteria. We
urgently need to send Corbey, Turmes and the shadows, and the ad hoc
working group or COREPER, and the ENVI and ITRE committees all the
reports, declarations etc.

I'm intending to do with the 2 Brazilian reports (Agribusiness and
biofuels; an explosive mixture and 'depolluting doubts') and try to
get the 'Sugar Slaves' documentary copied.

I hope as many of you as possible can help and take on the sending of
reports, or set up meetings with the most crucial people. Once we have
found out who is on the ad hoc working group, we can to a certain
extent approach them directly too.

This is a crucial time for all of us to act, pleas all consider what
you can do!

NIna