[Cja] CJA: Gearing up for Cancun

Julie Gorecki gorecki.julie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 08:59:57 UTC 2010

Dear climate justice friends and allies,

The 16th Conference of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change, or better known as COP16, will be held in Cancun Mexico next week.
>From November 29th to December 10th international leaders will make another
attempt to form a binding legal agreement that can work towards solving the
climate crisis.

However, after the 2009 Copenhagen Climate Conference or COP15 many climate
justice communities have lost all trust in such negotiating processes. What
did we see at last year’s COP15? Just three days into the conference, a
leaked document (“The Danish Text”) that set predetermined agreements
allowing rich countries to pollute more. Real climate crisis solutions
represented by grassroots activists, organizations and NGO representatives
were locked out of the Bella Center. The introduction of new anti-democratic
laws limiting free speech, actions, mobilizations, and any real development
of effective climate justice. A crack down on legal and democratic rights
through major human rights violations implemented by an overly violent and
aggressive police presence in Copenhagen- something that is becoming far too
familiar for the people fighting the false solutions to the climate crisis.
And finally in the early hours of the last morning of the Copenhagen
conference the global leaders came together and created “The Copenhagen
Accord,” a document that abandoned lowering target carbon emissions and thus
openly accepted the deep and utter failure of the entire conference.

What did the global climate activist community learn from this experience?
The conference failed, the governments failed, and the leaders are unwilling
to act. The real solutions and real changes can only happen through the
people and from the ground up! We have not been silenced- we have only grown
stronger. The global climate justice movement is gearing up and we are ready
to move forward with more force once again:

*1,000 Cancuns:*

the world to mobilize in order to create 1,000 Cancuns: ‘We call on social
movements, popular organizations and all people of the world to organize
thousands of protests and actions to reject the false and market solutions.’
For more information see:
http://viacampesina.org/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=941:the-people-create-thousands-of-solutions-to-confront-climate-change&catid=48:-climate-change-and-agrofuels&Itemid=75

* *

*Klimaforum10 in Cancun:*

Klimaforum Mexico will be hosting grassroots movements and civil society
during the COP16. They will be providing “space for all people, where they
can gather, debate on constructive solutions, propose and find consensus
towards coordinated international action in the face of the climate crisis.
Where governments fail, the people shall prevail.” Please check
http://10.klimaforum.org/

*CJA 1,000 Cancuns and COP 16 Report Backs:** *
CJA will be in touch with grassroots climate justice comrades on the ground
in Cancun and with those who are planning an action for 1,000 Cancuns. We
plan to report on the climate justice struggles and successes during the
conference and other mobilizations happening at the same time. This
information will be updated and posted on the CJA website regularly. The
success of these updated reports relies on our international solidarity.
Will you be in Cancun or would you like to help with writing report backs?
If yes, please take time to write us an email at
info at climate-justice-action.org so we can get accurate report backs from
you. **