[Cja] Climate Justice Assembly and other activities in Brussels during Cancun

Jeroen Robbe robbe.jeroen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 15:33:29 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I wanted to join the last CJA-skype meeting, but unfortunately couldn't make
it as I wasn't home in time after my work. So I will just share now as
briefly as possible what I wanted to share in the meeting. I'm doing this
because I heard there were some questions concerning the Climate Assembly in
Brussels and a possible involvement of CJA Belgium. As I am part of the
Belgian CJA group I will update you now briefly on our plans during Cancun.
As Susi from FoEE said, CJA Belgium has indeed decided on their last meeting
(as recently as tuesday) to support the Climate Assembly that was called for
by Friends of the Earth, Via Campesina and a Belgian organisation which name
would literally translate as "Climate and Social Justice". But there is
more...

On the 28th of November there is a big national demonstration planned by the
"Climate Coalition". This "Climate Coalition" is an umbrella of quite a lot
of Belgian organisations working on the climate issue. However, their
position isn't necessarily coming anywhere near of what we would call
"Climate Justice". They represent a lot of groups, but you could call their
point of view at least conservative. That's why we will be writing a
call-out for a "System Change, not Climate Change" bloc during the
demo. This bloc will probably be leaving from the Climate Assembly. (But the
details still need to be worked out.) However, after the predictible failure
of Copenhagen last year and with more of the same to be expected
for Cancun, even this "System Change" bloc might be to weak as our only
signal. So... Another seperate (direct) action during Cancun will be very
probably planned by CJA Belgium as well.

Just to mention: Young Friends of the Earth Europe will also organise a
conference in Brussels during the whole two weeks of the summit in Cancun.
So if people would be planning on coming to Brussels and would have some
more time to spend there working on the climate justice issue, this might
also be interesting to keep in mind.

By the way: me and some other people of the Belgian CJA-group will join the
next meeting of the Climate Assembly next tuesday to collect more
information and to see how we can get involved. If any of you have more
questions, please don't hesitate to ask them. Even if I can't answer them
right away, I can keep them in mind when I go to the meeting on tuesday, so
I can answer them afterwards...

In Solidarity,
Jeroen

P.S.: I will fill out the doodle and with a little bit of luck, I can join
you next time during a skype meeting!

--
Jeroen Robbe
jeroen.robbe at jnm.be

Climate Justice Activist & Popular Educator
Climate Justice Action // YFoEE

---
Attempts to 'green' capitalism, to make it 'ecological', are doomed by the
very nature of the system as a system of endless growth."
-- Murray Bookchin, Remaking Society
"The only thing worth globalizing is dissent"
-- Arundhati Roy
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtfull, committed citizens, can
change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has!"
-- Margaret Mead