[Cja] Activists shut down world’s biggest coal port

<Gary Cranston> garycranston1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 01:39:28 UTC 2010

    Activists shut down world’s biggest coal port

<http://withoutyourwalls.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/>
0
<http://withoutyourwalls.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/activists-shut-down-worlds-biggest-coal-port/#respond>

*5:30am, Sunday 26th September 2010:*

Global warming activists have shut down operations at all three coal
terminals in the Port of Newcastle, Australia, the world’s largest
exporter of coal.

At dawn this morning, teams of people entered the three coal terminals
in Newcastle. The activists climbed to the top of large ship loading
machines, and abseiled part-way down structural cables that suspend the
loaders over coal ships. The ship loaders can’t be operated without
endangering the climbers, who are determined to stay there for as long
as possible.

Annika Dean, spokesperson for the protest organisers, Rising Tide
Newcastle, explained the group’s motivations: “We are staging an
emergency intervention into Australia’s number one cause of global warming.”

“Around the world, the early impacts of unabated global warming are
beginning to emerge. 2010 has been a year of tragic weather disasters.”

“Thousands of people have died this year due to flash floods in Pakistan
and China, and fires in Siberia. Millions of people are facing
starvation due to a devastating drought in west Africa. These are the
impacts of global warming that scientists have been warning us about for
decades. Global warming is happening now, and it is killing people.”

“Australia is a major contributor to this crisis, due to the massive
volumes of coal we export. We are  exporting global warming to the
world. With the support of both Labor and the Coalition, Australia’s
coal exports are booming. Here in Newcastle, already the world’s biggest
coal port, multinational mining corporations are planning to triple
exports over the next decade. It’s a similar story at all coal ports in
the country.”

“Urgent action against global warming is needed. We have been forced to
make our dramatic protest today because the Federal government is
failing to take any action.”

“We call on Prime Minister Gillard to step up to the challenge of global
warming, put an immediate moratorium on the expansion of the coal
industry, and begin to replace this outdated industry with the renewable
industries of the future,” concluded Ms Dean.

          Check here for updates and timeline as the action continues
          <http://www.risingtide.org.au/activists-shut-down-worlds-biggest-coal-port>

<http://withoutyourwalls.wordpress.com>
www.withoutyourwalls.wordpress.com <http://withoutyourwalls.wordpress.com>
www.climatecamp.org.nz <http://climatecamp.org.nz>