[Cja] OccupyCOP17 Supports 10-Dec. International Day of Human Rights

Kevin Buckland kevin at 350.org
Sat Dec 10 19:13:13 UTC 2011

*Hello, Buenas Tardes, BonJour. *

See below for OccupyCOP17's statement of
support<http://occupycop17.org/2011/12/10/occupycop17-supports-international-day-of-action-for-human-rights/>of
a day of Action
for Human Rights <http://dec10.takethesquare.net/> for December 10th.

An all-night vigil was held for Climate Justice with a community that was
evicted because of the COP17 UN Climate Conference.

#OccupyCop17 letter of support for Madrid's callout:
International Day of Action for Human Rights

A Statement on Intergenerational Rights

Let us not forget that the victories that will define 2011 in the pages of
history began in Africa. That story of 2011 should end here. 2011 took us
from Tunisia to Durban, South Africa – where Mandela cast his first vote
and Gandhi held his first public meeting. Draw a line on the map from Tunis
to Durban and think of all the languages you have crossed, all the
diversity, all the wisdom, all the gods. There is a continent bridging those
two cities – dreaming.
    We are all in that dream.

2011 started with the demand for freedom, and ends with the demand for
justice.

As our planet rampantly burns its insides and warms, history will view
these years as a window closing. We have a chance to escape the catastrophe
we are creating for our children. But there is no freedom without justice,
and no justice without rights.

For our rights thrive, we must be guardians of their principles. Freedom is
bigger than us – it is the architecture our dreams inhabit. It does not
belong to us anymore than a house built of stone belongs to its inhabitant.
Rights belong to the generations that will come after us. Justice grows
like a garden, we water it with our wills. As each day passes, a window is
closing and with it the justice that we will pass on to the future
inhabitants of this world. Justice loses its meaning if it is stolen from
the future.

Here in Africa, the well of hope is drying. People are being forced away
from the land of their ancestors and have been sent wandering with nothing,
into a darkening world.

Our planet is changing, and with it the story of human rights. Here in
Africa, the river beds are already drying and the seedlings that we watered
for the future, are wilting. We do not rob water from the cups of others,
we divert the streams. Climate change is the tyranny of the present over
the rights of the future. In Africa, the future is already here.

Human rights are universal, they exist not only to everyone who is alive –
but to everyone who will ever live. No one is free until everyone is free.

#OccupyCOP17
dec10.takethesquare.net/

--
Kevin Buckland