[Cja] FoE EWNI recruiting for 2 international climate campaigners

Asad Rehman asad.rehman at foe.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 15:45:56 UTC 2011

Dear friends (please feel to circulate)

Friends of the Earth (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) is looking to recruit two campaigners into its international climate team.

The starting salary is up to ££33,900 - 35 hours - and is based in  London

One post is 5 days/ 35 hours  a week  (permanent)

And the other is 5 days / 35 hours a week  (until 23 December 2011)

http://www.foe.co.uk/get_involved/jobs_index.html

The deadline for applications is MONDAY 7th March at 10am (UK time)

We are looking for dynamic, positive, persuasive, passionate people who are committed to climate justice to lead campaigns at a national, European and international level that help deliver a strong and fair global climate agreement that will drive the global transformation needed for a low carbon world as well as delivering justice to those most affected by climate change.  Strong campaigning and communications skills are essential.  Ideally you will have experience and expertise on international climate finance or lobbying for transformative solutions at a national or European level. An understanding of climate change policy/negotiations at a European or international level will also be very useful.

The international climate team makes a major difference - come and join us!

The window of opportunity to avoid catastrophic climate change is rapidly diminishing as rich countries continue to consume more than their fair share of the global carbon budget leading to potential temperature increases of up to 4 degrees. The world's economy continues to be largely fossil-fuelled. There need to be massive, rapid transformations in how our global economy runs, how it is powered, and what it produces. To do that we need a global climate agreement that leads to deep domestic cuts in emissions in rich developed countries and provides adequate public finance for developing countries to develop in a clean and low carbon pathway. Being part of the world's largest environmental federation means we work together with our colleagues at a European and global level to lobby for real solutions to the climate challenge.

The next few years are crucial - we are already witnessing a multitude of global crisis from shortages in food and water; the over consumption of resources; increasing environmental injustices - all of which are compounded by adverse weather patterns leading to floods, fires and droughts, impacts of which are largely being felt by those least responsible for causing the problems.

That's why we are at the forefront of working with civil society organisations, social movements and developing country negotiators in promoting real policy solutions that will help deliver a global transformation that is low-carbon at its heart, is delivered within our planetary limits, and creates a safer, fairer and more just world.

Friends of the Earth's international climate team will be at the forefront of campaigns to ensure this transformation happens. These two posts will be responsible for developing and leading new campaigns:

·         Global carbon budget. Campaigning for increased public support for policy changes at UK and the European Union level that deliver real domestic emissions cuts rather than relying on dodgy offset schemes.

·         International climate finance. Campaigning to get a massive ramp-up of public and private sector investment into low carbon projects, with a possible focus on a global feed in tariff campaign and against the expansion of the global carbon market.

The other work of the team involves working with climate justice alliances at the European and global level as well as with other Friends of the Earth groups across the world and in particular our groups in Africa to campaign for stronger action at the global climate negotiations in South Africa this year. We will highlight the inadequacies of the weak Cancun agreements and seek to improve them.

We also support Friends of the Earth's 200 strong network of local groups, Friends of the Earth's international network of over 76 organisations and over 2 million members , as well as working with our own UK climate team and Food team to deliver joined up solutions and campaign strategies.

 Asad

Asad Rehman

Head of International Climate

Friends of the Earth

(England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

26-28 Underwood Street

London

N1 7JQ

0207 566 1688 direct line

0207 490 1555 switchboard

0207 566 1715 fax

077201 47280 mobile

07956210332 mobile

skype: chilledvibes

asad.rehman at foe.co.uk

www.foe.co.uk <http://www.foe.co.uk/>

Friends of the Earth England, Wales and North of Ireland is a member of Friends of the Earth International, the world's largest grassroots environmental network with 77 member groups and 2 million supporters around the world. Our vision is of a peaceful, just and sustainable world based on societies living in harmony with nature.

 FREE EVENT

6 Billion Ways

Making another world possible

Saturday 5 March 2011

10am-midnight at Rich Mix

35-47 Bethnal Green Road, London E1 6LA

A day of debates, film, art, music and workshops for all ages

Speakers include:

Walden Bello, Caroline Lucas MP, Pablo Solon, Lidy Nacpil, Rob Newman, Samir Amin, Omar Barghouti, Dave Randall, Mark Serwotka, Hilary Wainwright, Patrick Bond, Nina Power and Ronnie Kasrils.

With sessions on:

Tackling climate change... Beating public spending cuts... Ending occupations in Afghanistan and Palestine... Strengthening democracy... Curbing consumerism... Fighting global poverty... Building activism and resistance...and much more...

Plus Movimientos party with DJs and live music, 8pm-Midnight

 <file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\asad.rehman\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Signatures\6%20Billion%20Ways%20logo%20-%20small> 6 Billion Ways is your chance to inspire and be inspired, and to make connections with others who want to challenge injustice and inequality both in the UK and globally.

Find out more and register now: www.6billionways.org.uk <http://www.6billionways.org.uk/>

Invite your friends using facebook <http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=161211263915340>

Organised by Friends of the Earth, WDM, War on Want, City Circle, People and Planet and Jubilee Debt Campaign.

--
Support Friends of the Earth <https://www.foe.co.uk/?email_staff>

Friends of the Earth Limited - Company No 1012357
Friends of the Earth Trust - Company No 1533942
Registered Charity No 281681
Registered Office - 26 - 28 Underwood Street, London. N1 7JQ