[Cja] Fwd: Pl forward: Underground 'ocean' 3x that on earth surface? Think fracking, CCS, nuclear waste burial ...?

Asad Rehman asad.rehman at foe.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 07:08:01 UTC 2014

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Maggie Zhou <mzhou_us at yahoo.com<mailto:mzhou_us at yahoo.com>>
Date: 17 June 2014 03:06:30 BST
To: Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za<mailto:pbond at mail.ngo.za>>, Asad Rehman <asad.rehman at foe.co.uk<mailto:asad.rehman at foe.co.uk>>
Subject: Pl forward: Underground 'ocean' 3x that on earth surface? Think fracking, CCS, nuclear waste burial ...?

Patrick, Asad,

Could either of you kindly forward the following to the CJN! as well as the CJA <climate09-int at lists.riseup.net<mailto:climate09-int at lists.riseup.net>> lists?  Many thanks!

Maggie

On Monday, June 16, 2014 9:57 PM, Maggie Zhou <mzhou_us at yahoo.com<mailto:mzhou_us at yahoo.com>> wrote:

If this discovery is verified, I think it would demolish the safety/stability claims used to justify toxic fracking fluids, carbon capture and underground storage, or storage of any other toxic/radioactive material in "deep geological formation".  Because, the water locked up 660km below the surface, do travel up at some rate, thereby dissolving whatever is along the way and bringing it up to the surface, eventually.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/13/earth-may-have-underground-ocean-three-times-that-on-surface

Excerpts:

"the discovery suggested Earth's water may have come from within, driven to the surface by geological activity, rather than being deposited by icy comets hitting the forming planet as held by the prevailing theories."

"I think we are finally seeing evidence for a whole-Earth water cycle, which may help explain the vast amount of liquid water on the surface of our habitable planet. Scientists have been looking for this missing deep water for decades."

Jacobsen told the New Scientist that the hidden water might also act as a buffer for the oceans on the surface, explaining why they have stayed the same size for millions of years.

Maggie