[Cja] Information update for CJ groups attending the COP

Asad Rehman asad.rehman at foe.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 00:32:46 UTC 2015

Dear friends

It is likely that there will be a number of CJ groups and activists may be attending the climate talks for the first time. The following information may help groups interact with the Climate talks.

Civil society groups are divided into different constituencies - these include the gender and women constituency, trade union, farmers, research institutions, youth, indigenous people as well as business. If you would like to contact any of those constituencies - their daily meeting schedule is attached.

 Environmental NGOs are organised via the following groupings -  the climate justice space, or climate action network or unaffiliated groups.

Climate Justice groups don't have a well funded infrastructure such as CAN does - so we have to rely on voluntary capacity being provided by CJ groups to be able to effectively  our collective work. CJ groups act together but recognise the diversity of structures, views and perspectives and as such no group speaks on behalf of CJ groups. Each groups uses their own organisational identity but indicates that they are members of the climate justice spaces.

Currently Friends of the Earth, Third World Network and IPS offer some capacity to act as focal points between the UNFCCC and CJ groups. The focus of our work is usually around ensuring that the voices of CJ groups are heard, that we push for more rights of participation in the talks,  and that CJ groups who lose their badges have support etc.

Here is some information that may be useful to you over this weekend:

1. Badges

  *   A reminder that accreditation will be closed on Monday 30th November till 1pm. So if you dont have a badge you will not be allowed into the Blue Zone till after 1pm.
  *   We understand that the Green Zone will also be closed till 1pm

  *   You can however  register from now till Sunday evening. Please do so if you are able to and avoid the long queues.

  *   If you are heading to the COP with your luggage - some people have reported problems because of the security - so you may be better leaving your luggage at your hotel before heading to the venue.

  *   Make sure you bring your passport or ID and also your acknowledgment letter.

2. Transport

  *   For those travelling from outside of France - you are able to pick up a free transport pass. This is from the COP venue.. next to where you go to accredit yourself.

Free transportation is provided courtesy of the Government of France to all participants with valid conference badges. Navigo (commuters’ pass for public transportation for the areas that the shuttle lines do not cover). After you obtain your Conference badge you can then obtain your Navigo pass. For security reasons no one will be admitted to the conference transportation unless you carry your conference badge

3. Negotiations sessions:

  *   The ADP opening plenary will be held at 5 pm on Sunday, 29 November.The conference venue will be therefore be open to us on Sunday, 29 November 2015

4. Security

  *   http://www.cop21.gouv.fr/cop21-mesures-exceptionnelles-concernant-la-circulation-les-29-et-30-novembre/

5. Actions

CJ groups have been engaged in a long running struggle on the continued restrictions on civil society being able to organise actions on the inside of the venue. Some groups like Friends of the Earth, Earth in Brackets, and others have had a number of people debagged each year for 'unauthorised' actions and sometimes for totally made up reasons.

Please be aware that there is likely to be even more restrictions - there will be additional information from UN Security over the weekend about actions inside the COP. We will share that information as soon as we are informed of it.

6.  COP Opening session and Leaders Event

Due to the presence of Heads of State - restrictions will be in place for opening session. These restrictions include a  limited number of special secondary badges for the restricted area.  A 100 badges will be made available to NGO Constituencies

COP Opening plenary at 10 am: all 100 special badge holders are able to attend.

Leaders Event at 11 am: 50 in each Plenary hall on a first come first served basis.

The badges have been allocated with the following breakdown:

Special secondary badges

Prorated breakdowns are as follows:

BINGO: 18

ENGO-CAN: 15

ENGO-CJN: 2

ENGO CAN+CJN: 2

ENGO non-CAN+non-CJN: 20

Farmers: 2

IPO: 2

LGMA: 2

RINGO: 24

TUNGO: 3

Women & Gender: 2

YOUNGO: 5

I have written to the UNFCCC to complain about the unfair allocation of badges to CJ groups.

For any CJ groups who wish to nominate themselves for one of the CJ badges - please email me with your name, organisation and rationale for needing to be at the High Level segment.

7. ENGO Meeting Room

The UNFCCC provides  a meeting room for ENGO groups. The room is available for use by CJ groups from 7am to 1pm and shared with CAN groups who take the 1pm to 7pm slot.

A google doc that will be circulated with info on how CJ groups are able to book one hour slots in the room for their meetings.

8.  Shipment

UNFCCC has asked to us to draw attention to the shipment guidelines that include suprlus charges.

Sustainability policy: http://unfccc.int/files/parties_and_observers/notifications/application/pdf/notification_cop_21_information_note_on_sustainability_actions.pdf

Shipment guidelines (EN/FR): <http://unfccc.int/meetings/paris_nov_2015/items/9289.php> http://unfccc.int/meetings/paris_nov_2015/items/9289.php

Additional information about climate justice meetings both inside and outside the COP will be circulated separately.

Safe travels..

In solidarity

Asad Rehman